frame rot by steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paul c

Reaction score
my 1999 k 2500 has some frame rot on the left front horn and back to the steering box mounting points. i have heard that this is common (at least in the rust belt) and there is a repair plate available for this. i did a google search and searched on here and found nothing. any one have any info? thanks in advance, paul c.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've never heard of a fix for that. Only for the square body trucks that would crack frames. I have seen a few of our trucks rusted in that area. One on Ebay that looked great everywhere else, and one locally at the city auction (other side, Though).

JoeyD

Reaction score
No kit fix for it. Hit the bone yard and cut a section off and weld it back together or swap out the whole frame.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Patch the frame with some new metal and away you go. Never heard of our style of trucks having a problem with that.

That's easier said than done. The area where I've seen the trucks rust have a lot going on there..... body/bumper/control-arm mounts. The easiest solution for a non-fabricator would be a used frame.