Frame repair???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shopteacher

Reaction score
My apologies if this is in the wrong section. I figured suspension is close to the frame- both figuratively and literally. Anyway, my frame has some rust that has eaten up the hole for the radiator support bushing in the frame on the passenger side. I'm looking for input on how to fix it.

The bracket doesn't appear to be available on its own. I really can't find any information online about repairing it, either. My current train of thought is to make a straight cut down on the frame to remove the rusted steel, then sectioning in a nice piece cut off another frame.

Edit: picture attached below.

Thanks in advance for repair advice!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
Seems to be a pretty common problem on the 400's... mine are the same.. though still good at the core support.. the cab mounts are a different story.. and have suffered the same sort of fate as yours. I repurposed some shock bushing plates from railway passenger coaches and they are pretty much an exact fit for the bushings (a wee bit of modding) and cover the exaggerated hole.. to which I welded them in.. after realigning the cab... here's a pic of them..
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
you could actually make your own with some 1/4 plate.. use a hole saw to cut the bushing hole 1st.. then a 4" hole saw to cut to size.. effectively make a washer of sorts.. and weld in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shopteacher

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

After re-examining my parts truck, I think I am going to attempt to remove the entire bracket off the parts truck and reinstall it on the "good" truck frame. I think it should be fairly simple since there appear to be locating holes to ensure it gets installed in the right spot.

Thanks again!

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Cut the rivets with a torch and then grind them flush, take a hammer and punch and knock them out. Then use grade 8 bolts and bolt them on, take the bolt and nut together with a weld and they will last forever.

shopteacher

Reaction score
No rivets holding the brackets in place, just three relatively small stitch welds. We cut the last 12-16" off the front of the frame, and we are going to cut the welds out with a cutting disc on a 4-1/2" grinder. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again everyone!