Forum newcomer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

William L

Reaction score
Goodevening guys I'm new to the forum and just bought a 97 extended cab dually. 454/4L80E 4x4 with 86,000 miles. It's stock as far as I can tell but I'd like to install a leveling kit and 285/75/16 tires. What are yalls thoughts on spacers? I've found steel spacers w/ grade 10 studs. Or would it hurt to run the tires touching all the way around? Also I will be regularly towing a 35' 11,000lbs camper or my mud truck on a flat deck trailer.

Thanks
Will

William L

Reaction score
Thanks Shore, and pics coming shortly.. Hopefully lol. It's a Chevrolet but the previous owner liked the paint matched GMC grill better. I like a bow tie grill but this ones growing on me.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome. You do not want the tires touching!!! Years ago I worked at a well drilling outfit and there was a good deal on tires at our local tire shop. We took every trailer in to get new tires. Well, these tires were just enough wider to rub. Had blowout after blowout in the first month before we realized they were getting hot and blowing out the sidewall. Granted, the 30k lbs these trailers were toting around is more than you'll ever have on the back of your pickup ( I hope).

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome. You do not want the tires touching!!! Years ago I worked at a well drilling outfit and there was a good deal on tires at our local tire shop. We took every trailer in to get new tires. Well, these tires were just enough wider to rub. Had blowout after blowout in the first month before we realized they were getting hot and blowing out the sidewall. Granted, the 30k lbs these trailers were toting around is more than you'll ever have on the back of your pickup ( I hope).
Ditto and even worse is when they catch fire.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Welocome! Check out 255/85r16 tires. Same tall just more narrow, but the spacers won't have to be as wide.

William L

Reaction score
I will look into the 255s! My commute in the summertime will require driving trough some sandy/muddy areas so I was hoping to have a decent foot print. But maybe a 255 with a all terrain tread or mud terrain will work out. That being said looking at the route of 285s and 2" steel spacers with grade 10 studs do y'all think I will have issues towing in the weight range I am?

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I will look into the 255s! My commute in the summertime will require driving trough some sandy/muddy areas so I was hoping to have a decent foot print. But maybe a 255 with a all terrain tread or mud terrain will work out. That being said looking at the route of 285s and 2" steel spacers with grade 10 studs do y'all think I will have issues towing in the weight range I am?
As long as the spacers are high quality it would be fine. 255s are actually very effective offroad. 88gmctruck has a set on his dually with a slide in camper and a 14' enclosed trailer. He takes that thing pretty much anywhere with no problems.

This is his build thread. Its loaded with info and pics.
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/88gmctrucks-98-silverado-towpig-build-black-fox.20243/