forged or stamped control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
went to get new balljoints for my 96 k1500, the guy asks me
"on your lower balljoints, it wants to know if you have a forged or stamped lower control arm"

now i didnt hav ethe truck with me as it has bad tires and im trying to do my balljoints and tierods

before mounting the ones i bought yesterday, so he couldnt go outside and look

just got home and the lower control arm appears to be 90 percent stamped but the very end of it that

is at the knuckle end, is cast!?? I am not sure what to tell the guy...

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i was also told that i almost surely have to put new balljoints and tierods on my truck before they will do an alignment or at least before it will last...

i can do everything myself just not align it i dont have a "rack" or room for one

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forged arms are 100% one forged casting.

The stamped arms are cut and bent plate for a majority of the arm with a forged and machined end for the balljoint welded into the end.

1/2 tons got stamped arms predominantly.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah its a stamped steel control arm not a casting, thanks!!! this is why i love forums

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just for future reference:

You can swap the half ton stamped arms to the 3/4 ton forged arms and with that get a bit more stiffness but also use the larger 3/4 ton lower balljoint.

Bubba J

Reaction score
Just for future reference:

You can swap the half ton stamped arms to the 3/4 ton forged arms and with that get a bit more stiffness but also use the larger 3/4 ton lower balljoint.
What is involved in this conversion?

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get forged arms, bolt them in. I they need new bushings Hummer H2 bushings work nicely.

Little help please...I know this post is old. I found forged LCA on a '99 GMC k2500 and I just had to take them. The problem now is that I can't find new bushings to replace the crappy ones that are all torn apart on them. Does anyone know of any part #'ers or can I just use the bushings from a stamped steel LCA?

Is there a specific type of bushings you recommend? I want to do Moog or Energy Suspension...thoughts?