Fluid Change Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SC_Chevy

Reaction score
What's the max you guys go on changing a 4L60E's trans fluid? Or at least a good number of miles before you drain and change?

semperfi

Reaction score
I changed transmission pan to a "deep" pan (holds an add'l 2.5 qts) at 50k on my '96 K1500 transmission, that has a drain plug. Now I do a 'drain & fill' about every 10k miles with DEXRON VI; very easy as oil change, after installing the new pan w/drain plug. Since I do all of my own oil changes, after oil has drained, I just move to drain pan under transmission & drain it (approx. 7.5 qts)
It's cheap insurance & the VI fluid is a much superior fluid than the III.
Hope this helps.
RV in WNC

Deep pan here. About $30

Last edited:

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made provision for easy drain and fill without the pan swap. Though the extra capacity would be nice.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mountain Chev

Reaction score
Every 40,000 km's or 25,000 miles. Make sure to always change the filter too, it's better to wait and change the filter and fluid at the same time then it is to do a drain and fill without changing the filter.