Flowmaster 40 vs 44? Poll!

Flowmasters

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jvnascar03

Reaction score
I had an 08 Silverado had stock exhaust just replaced the muffler with a flow master super 44. Had a nice mellow tone at idle but when you laid into it everyone noticed. Sounded real good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I had an 08 Silverado had stock exhaust just replaced the muffler with a flow master super 44. Had a nice mellow tone at idle but when you laid into it everyone noticed. Sounded real good.

Was it real raspy? Any complaints about it?

jvnascar03

Reaction score
No it wasn't raspy at all. Like I said it was nice and mellow at idle and just got louder as you laid into it. Once I got up to highway speed it mellowed back out. You could still hear it but it was just a soft mellow rumble. My 08 had the active fuel management so it would drop down to 4 cylinders at cruise speed and you would hear them drop out and also when they came back in. I was very satisfied with it. Like I said before I was running stock exhaust and stock tail pipe just swapped the mufflers. It was a single in single out super 44. Man I wish I still had that truck.

Last edited:

Shane B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the 40 series soind the best, but I'm running factory pipes into the muffler and three inch tail pipes with flowmaster single chamber mufflers on mine. My 98 is definitely quieter than my 94. The 94 has the more typical tinny flowmaster sound that you get with a small block Chevy. My 98 is more of a baritone rumble. I actually like the sound of my 94 better. FYI my 94 has a 305 in it. Every v8 vehicle I have ever owned has had a flowmaster on it. To me they just have that classic V8 sound. I have an 08 sierra and I had an Aero turbine muffler on it for about six months. It actually lost a little low end. It would shift to second gear if I was climbing any kind of grade with the cruise control on. After I put the flowmaster back on it has never done it again. I will stick with chambered style mufflers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Its crazy how everyone says they run 40's with no droning. They are darn near the loudest, most droning muffler that flowmaster makes. My 78 runs dual 2.5" with 40's all the way out back. Its loud AF, drones like theres no tomorrow, and conversations are difficult at freeway speeds. The 50 series big block with dual 2.25 in/single 3" out dumped under the cab on my 98, now thats mellow.