flowmaster 10 series.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright i got a flowmaster 10 what have people heard? i plan to put it on my current exhaust before i go to true duals to make sure its not going to be too loud. i already have the tail pipe/ tips figured out and ordered. and have a plan but would like opinions on the muffler forward part. my plan is to make everything stainless ( i know the mufflers wont be ) im building an h pipe and replacing my y pipe with 2.5" all the way to the manifolds. any suggestion on how close to the mufflers the H pipe should be? i have never ran an H on anything with true duals. should i make an X pipe instead? i plan to make the cross over in between the h about 5 inches or so across, is that too short? any suggestions pros cons likes dislikes arguing is welcome tear it up i like ideas! just remeber i already have the tips and tail pipes so i dont need advice on that they arent going back!

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen between the H-pipes and X-pipes, the H-pipes are up closer to the cats, and the X-pipes are farther back by the muffler. I'm not sure why this is, but on most of the trucks that I have had a chance to take a look under, this is the case.

Thinking about from a physics aspect, I think X helps balance the flow, and H helps balance the pressure, but I also don't know much about exhaust.

X pipe - distance between the two pipes are about 2 inches.
H-pipe - I've seen as much as up to 5 inches but most are only a few inches.

Last edited:

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
from what i understand from a bit of reading... x-pipes are better for torque numbers, and H pipes are better for horsepower.... but i may have that backwards

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from what i understand from a bit of reading... x-pipes are better for torque numbers, and H pipes are better for horsepower.... but i may have that backwards

thanks for the clear up.

I may have been way off, but I was just thinking, and i don't do that much. lol

eitherway, looks like i want an x-pipe...

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i read the instructions with my flowmaster and it said for h-x pipe placement to spray the exhaust with cheap laquer based paint and run the vehical through its TQ curve to get the pipes hot and to put the h or x where the paint has burnt off ( hot spot ) i just read it litterally 5 seconds ago lol.

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
i read the instructions with my flowmaster and it said for h-x pipe placement to spray the exhaust with cheap laquer based paint and run the vehical through its TQ curve to get the pipes hot and to put the h or x where the paint has burnt off ( hot spot ) i just read it litterally 5 seconds ago lol.

makes sense... but are you seriously gonna buid your exhaust out of stainless, and spray it with paint... much less cheap spray paint?

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
makes sense... but are you seriously gonna buid your exhaust out of stainless, and spray it with paint... much less cheap spray paint?

mock it up with regular exhaust tubing, find out where the hot spots are, then build the exhaust with stainless and put the crossover where the hot spots were... easy :imo:

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nah eff that lol. i have a lazer heat gun! build the exhaust w/o the H or X run it point aim find hottest spot cut out a section then weld in :) no time or material wasted really!

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
nah eff that lol. i have a lazer heat gun! build the exhaust w/o the H or X run it point aim find hottest spot cut out a section then weld in :) no time or material wasted really!

that sounds like a better plan.. and less work than building two exhaust systems..

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah pretty much. i just really wish i knew right off the top of my head where to put it so i dont have to cut it back apart after just putting it together lol