Floor Jacks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaltonB98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm currently looking to get a floor jack, the one I have now wouldn't even lift up my car enough for my jack stands to go under. So I was wondering what brand do you guys prefer to use? I'm looking to stay under 200$, and one to obviously lift up the front end of my truck or SUV. There are just so many to choose from and most have mixed reviews. I'm open to any thoughts or opinions and all are appreciated. Thanks.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

sbduncan

Reaction score
I'll second kennythewelder's suggestion about the HF jack. I bought a low profile one in December. If you do get one of these I would pick up a bottle of jack oil, sometimes they don't come full from the factory.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another for the Harbor freight. Mine's over 10y/o without issue. Used and abused. Better then I ever expected. Similar to the one Kenny posted.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought my dad the HF low pro aluminum "racing" jack. I think it goes up to 21". It picks up the front if his F250HD pig no problem. I have a Torrin (I think) that I got at WallyWorld years ago. I have used it very hard and it still works great. I used to keep it in the back of my squarebody 6.2 burb. A good floor jack isn't just for the garage. I have used them in mud, snow, etc.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The ACDelco jack is a small jack. I am sure it is good, but look at the specs on the two jacks. The HF jack is a much larger jack. You are not going to carry the HF jack around with you. It is a big jack.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The ACDelco jack is a small jack. I am sure it is good, but look at the specs on the two jacks. The HF jack is a much larger jack. You are not going to carry the HF jack around with you. It is a big jack.

:lol: That's exactly why we buy them! Rated to carry the same weight as the HF, but smaller and 20lbs lighter. I have a buddy who carries them around in the trunks of his Buicks. The small quick detach handle is great too.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:lol: That's exactly why we buy them! Rated to carry the same weight as the HF, but smaller and 20lbs lighter. I have a buddy who carries them around in the trunks of his Buicks. The small quick detach handle is great too.
I understand what you are saying, but I wanted a big jack, for a lot of reasons. One of them being the much higher lift capacity. I used to carry a small floor jack in my tool box when I had one on my truck before it was painted in 2013. I wanted a big jack for home use, and this fits the bill very well. I think the one I have is about the same size as the 4 ton that HF has now, but I know mine is a 3 ton. If you want a jack to carry around, this is not the jack for you, but if you want a large jack for around the house or shop, this is a grate choice.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also agree with the HF jack. When my Craftsman started to not hold, I checked with the local tire shop (pit stop style) to see what they used. 1.5 ton HF steel jacks. When they go, they scrap them and get new ones. They are about $85-90. Most of the other brands are made in China too, so why pay more.