First Project Truck!! 1998 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I couldnt hear any howls if i wanted to between the exhaust and mud tires. If the encoder doesnt pan out check the connection of the actuator on the fromt diff. Glad to hear you can keep the truck man! Even if it has to sit until you have time/money for it.

Edit: also check the sides of your radiator for cracks, theyre plastic and they hide cracks very well lol

DaltonB98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the problem with my radiator too, whenever i'd park it and it started to cool down the fluids would just pour out. Radiator happened to be cracked on the front where you could hardly tell it had a crack in it.

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the timely responses, gang.

So i found out an interesting fact about my truck today.. Apparently my truck was last owned by a 16 year old kid... And rumor has it the kid has a penchant to mud it pretty hard. That would explain all the things wrong with it; the wrecked radiator, the blown motor. It makes me wonder what other issues are waiting just below the surface. Does anybody have any experience with beat up mud trucks? Anything i should check?
Thanks guys.

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, update. Truck hasn't sold yet. :) Frankly, i don't even think it has moved since the last time i've updated this thread. I haven't had time to do much with it since I started my new job. (That's on top of my old job at Napa, 15 credit hours at college, and the start of harvest on my family's farm--long nights for sure!). That's ok, though, because that means the truck isn't costing me any money!

Yet...

So, i've done a little research on the drive line whine.. It sounds like it may be rear axle related, possibly a pinion bearing. Has anyone ever experienced this? It is possible to rebuild one of these rear axles cheaply, as long as the gears are good? Is it advisable?

By the time i get done with this goofy truck, it'll be like brand new, lol. It'll be a brand new rusted out truck!

Oh well, at least there's not a car payment, right?

Pic of where it sits.. The Silverado next to the Z71 is my first truck and current daily--the one the Z71 was supposed to replace!!
You must be registered for see images attach

And this is the F600 i've teased a few times. Not actually my truck (belongs to my old man). Some guys on here seem to dig it, so here you go! '75 F600 with a 330ci V8, 4+2 transmission, and a all-original wood 16' Midwest grain body. And it's only got 39,000 original miles!! Anyway, back to the bow-ties!

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
An axle bearing is as likely as anything.

You can re-seal and do new bearings for under 200 bucks. You can also step up to a JY 14b for about that price.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Thanks for the timely responses, gang.

So i found out an interesting fact about my truck today.. Apparently my truck was last owned by a 16 year old kid... And rumor has it the kid has a penchant to mud it pretty hard. That would explain all the things wrong with it; the wrecked radiator, the blown motor. It makes me wonder what other issues are waiting just below the surface. Does anybody have any experience with beat up mud trucks? Anything i should check?
Thanks guys.
my biggest concern would be making sure they didnt try to wire anything.

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When your girlfriend likes photography...:D

My '03 and '98

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, no real updates on the truck. Mostly tinkering here and there. The 4x4 actuator seems to not work. So i guess i'll add that to the list of non-working items, lol.
The good news is I'm getting close to being done with school for Christmas break, and when that happen, work should begin in earnest on the truck.

Here's the list of things that need attention:
Radiator (leaks)
Blower resister
Door locks
Ball joints
Rear end inspection/service
Plates/Registration

Less critical:
Cargo lights
Exhaust repair
Tonneau cover

And finally, the wish list!
Thrush Turbo Mufflers
Yellow Fog Lamps, either of these two. (for snow)
https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/BK_7355752/BK_7355752
https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/BK_7355750/BK_7355750

So yeah... That's where it sits. Or more specifically, THAT'S vvvvvv where it sits.