First Project Truck!! 1998 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Diggin the Versatile in the background, don't see to many of those anymore.

Truck looks good, I would do what JR said, park it and come back to it when you've got the time.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Here's my truck in the previous owners yard,

You must be registered for see images attach

Here it is in mine a few days later,

Here it is today,

It's still smelly, and doesn't run fabulously. I had to put a transmission in it also, still need's tires and an alignment and and and... Lol.

Don't get discouraged, thing's can be fixed, you just need patience.

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, update: Truck hasn't sold yet, and Monday I start a second job as a HVAC fabricator for a mechanical contractor! Things could get a little hectic for me now, as i won't have time to do anything between two jobs and college, but it looks like things might finally even out financially. I'm still going to park the truck for a while, but it'll give me a chance to do some necessary maintenance to it before i need it. The way thing are sitting, there's a chance i may install a ladder rack and bed rail tool boxes on my GMT800 and use it for a strictly a work truck once the Z71 is running smooth.

I've been driving the Z71 around lately, and have noticed a couple of things.
1. It blows antifreeze. I mean BLOWS antifreeze. I've topped the expansion tank off four times in one tank of gas. It appears to either be coming from the drain plug, the upper radiator hose, or the radiator itself. Either way, park it on concrete when it's warm, and it piddles everywhere!
2. It needs ball joints. When you turn the wheels at low speeds, it creaks and groans something fierce.
3. The front axle will not engage. It did engage before the engine swap, so my guess is something came loose.
4. There is a howl somewhere in the truck above 35mph. Not an awful noise, but definitely noticeable. Can't seem to locate it though. Frankly, it's the most concerning to me of the thing mentioned. 4x4's don't just howl in general, do they?
5. It desperately needs exhaust work. It's too quiet with the exhaust hooked up!!

Well, it looks like i've got my work cut out for me! I can't wait to get the truck fully finished. The Z71 is by far my favorite vehicle i've driven.

Thanks for all the support over the last few days, guys. It's definitely helped.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
So, update: Truck hasn't sold yet, and Monday I start a second job as a HVAC fabricator for a mechanical contractor! Things could get a little hectic for me now, as i won't have time to do anything between two jobs and college, but it looks like things might finally even out financially. I'm still going to park the truck for a while, but it'll give me a chance to do some necessary maintenance to it before i need it. The way thing are sitting, there's a chance i may install a ladder rack and bed rail tool boxes on my GMT800 and use it for a strictly a work truck once the Z71 is running smooth.

I've been driving the Z71 around lately, and have noticed a couple of things.
1. It blows antifreeze. I mean BLOWS antifreeze. I've topped the expansion tank off four times in one tank of gas. It appears to either be coming from the drain plug, the upper radiator hose, or the radiator itself. Either way, park it on concrete when it's warm, and it piddles everywhere!
2. It needs ball joints. When you turn the wheels at low speeds, it creaks and groans something fierce.
3. The front axle will not engage. It did engage before the engine swap, so my guess is something came loose.
4. There is a howl somewhere in the truck above 35mph. Not an awful noise, but definitely noticeable. Can't seem to locate it though. Frankly, it's the most concerning to me of the thing mentioned. 4x4's don't just howl in general, do they?
5. It desperately needs exhaust work. It's too quiet with the exhaust hooked up!!

Well, it looks like i've got my work cut out for me! I can't wait to get the truck fully finished. The Z71 is by far my favorite vehicle i've driven.

Thanks for all the support over the last few days, guys. It's definitely helped.

Well I'm glad to hear thing's are looking up for you.

1. Did you bleed the system of air when you installed the engine?

3. Probably, possibly the encoder on the transfer case.

4. It should not howl. Throw it in neutral and see if it stops.

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jrgunn5150!

To answer your questions:

1. We vacuum bled the system when we put it together, but w couldn't get it to hold pressure very long. It leaves a puddle under the front of the truck on the left side, but there is antifreeze all over the engine bay.

3. Excuse the ignorance, but what's an encoder?

4. It seems as though it might be driveline? It's quieter with the new transfer case, but it's still noticeable. It does not vary with RPM, but it will vary in pitch whether i'm on the throttle or not. Like i said though, it's not very loud. If the radio is on, you can drown it out.

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
4. Someone suggested it could be rear axle wear. I'm just scared it's the transmission--that's the most expensive component i haven't touched yet.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Thanks Jrgunn5150!

To answer your questions:

1. We vacuum bled the system when we put it together, but w couldn't get it to hold pressure very long. It leaves a puddle under the front of the truck on the left side, but there is antifreeze all over the engine bay.

3. Excuse the ignorance, but what's an encoder?

4. It seems as though it might be driveline? It's quieter with the new transfer case, but it's still noticeable. It does not vary with RPM, but it will vary in pitch whether i'm on the throttle or not. Like i said though, it's not very loud. If the radio is on, you can drown it out.

Well, it can't hold pressure if the hose or something in the system is leaky lol. You'll have to run that down and go from there.

The encoder, is a little motor on your transfer case, it sits there and counts a gear spinning by to know how fast you're going, and tells the PCM it's ok to shift into 4wd. It could have no been hooked back up, or not fully hooked up.

The sound, is more difficult to help with over the internet, it could be any number of thing's, it could be that you have super sensitive ears, but it's probably a minor issue. If you throw the truck in neutral when it's doing it, you can isolate it to the drivetrain or engine.

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha, over sensitive ears wouldn't be a stretch... After the last incident, one might venture i'm a little paranoid. I'll investigate the other things though as soon as i have a chance.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Ha, over sensitive ears wouldn't be a stretch... After the last incident, one might venture i'm a little paranoid. I'll investigate the other things though as soon as i have a chance.

That's most likely not it lol, but sound is so subjective. My brother will drive absolute death traps and say they run great lol.