First big paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rwd3signs

Reaction score
Half the pressure and back away from the surface? Wouldn't that cause a dry spray?

It's called a drop coat. You do it while your second coat is still wet. Guess i should have given a bit more detail. Most people spray metallics and pearls too wet and they mottle or bunch up in the wetter areas. This happens especially around edges or in jams and corners where you tend to start/stop or overlap too much. A drop coat will help spread the metallics out and get it even

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Years ago spraying Dupont Dulux for metallics we did what we called a fog coat over everything . Boost the air pressure hold the gun about 3 ft. away and just fog the whole job. That stuff took about 24 hrs. to dry to the touch and you still could leave finger prints if not careful. It was that or lacquer and a don't miss either one.

BIG_KID

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
my wife would love a baby blue truck. I would paint it this color but the interior is red. Great job....

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Years ago spraying Dupont Dulux for metallics we did what we called a fog coat over everything . Boost the air pressure hold the gun about 3 ft. away and just fog the whole job. That stuff took about 24 hrs. to dry to the touch and you still could leave finger prints if not careful. It was that or lacquer and a don't miss either one.
I have sprayed my fair share of that sticky mess way back when. lol All the ladies were envious of my thick and luxurious eyelashes the color of whatever I painted that day lol Safety yellow, dumpster blue........

Single stage metallics, yep , crank it up, back off and mist it.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Oh God Dupont dulux was a mess. You'd definitely have to fog it pretty good to get the metallics even.

Was no different with other 'cheap' refinish products. RM-BASF Limco was a pain, especially light blue metallics. Cheap solvents with poor metallic control. Could have a beautiful lay down, and then the metallic would sag, not the entire film, just the metallic. Learned a few tricks to spraying the lighter metallics for sure...

HS-Solo and UNO-HD polyurethanes were so, SO much nicer to spray with better resins, better solvents, and excellent flake control.