First big paint

Discussion in 'Paint / Body / Detailing' started by BIG_KID, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Bob L

Bob L Supporting Member

If you wait for warm weather don't paint after dark the lights are bug magnets. Winter I can paint whenever I want as I have good heat , summer only in daylight preferable before 5 pm.

2. Hipster

Hipster Newbie

True, you'll have every gnat in a 4 sq mile radius in your garage. bugs love that paint smell.

3. skylark

skylark I'm Awesome

I haven't used water based paint yet. Is that any better?

4. Hipster

Hipster Newbie

I have only used it once on a Harley I did. It was supplied to me, not my choice. Really need a temp and humidity controlled booth, fans, blowers to get it to dry. Humidity really affects it's dry time. Waterborne is just base, you still use solvent based clears over them. I'll stick with the solvent bases as long as I can. De. followed Cali on the voc laws so to give an example: PPG's Omni line, which can be limited color wise, I can get in solvent, but the topline PPG is only waterborn at my local jobber. So back to Dupont for the oddball computer color matched solvent basecoats I need. I will say this you don't get a little run in waterbase, the whole panel wants to slide. Like trying to clear a panel in 50 degrees with the slowest activator/reducer you have. Hangs wet forever. I'm sure there's some tricks, I'm just not aware

5. 90halfton

90halfton I'm Awesome

Well, if I had ever considered painting a vehicle, I'd not come within a mile of a paint gun after reading this lol. Sounds like alot of variables involved.

6. michael hurd

michael hurd Stalker be gone.

Not to mention having to deal with aerosolized solvents and isocyanates. Painting at home can certainly be hazardous to your health, even with good ventilation. ( explosion proof sealed motor driven fan )

7. Bob L

Bob L Supporting Member

I am not sold on the need for a fancy paint booth unless spraying 3 stage whites. This is where I work every day doing body work. My 26x24 garage. I have hot air furnace in the attic and an old school box fan for ventilation. I crack the front overhead door open about 2" for air intake. I do very little complete paint jobs and mostly small scratch and dent jobs. I do have to scuff and buff most jobs but so do the guys with the fancy booths.

20160917_135700.jpg 20160917_135651.jpg

skylark likes this.
  8. Rwd3signs

Rwd3signs Newbie

Easy trick for metallics is throw a little extra reducer in your last coat and cut your pressure down to half of what you sprayed the first 2 coats at. Then back off what your spraying a few more inches. It helps to evenly disburse the metallics. This is especially good for edges and corners where you tend to overlap and muttle the metallics. Simple way to save you from metallic tiger stripes

Bob L likes this.
  9. skylark

skylark I'm Awesome

Half the pressure and back away from the surface? Wouldn't that cause a dry spray?

10. skylark

skylark I'm Awesome

I'm not great by any means but I can't afford to have it done. That is how I learned. I sprayed a lot of Jeeps with thinned Rustolium to start. Then a little panel painting. Eventually I stepped up to a complete vehicle. I've never had a booth but I do have a respirator and good ventilation.