First big paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you wait for warm weather don't paint after dark the lights are bug magnets. Winter I can paint whenever I want as I have good heat , summer only in daylight preferable before 5 pm.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you wait for warm weather don't paint after dark the lights are bug magnets. Winter I can paint whenever I want as I have good heat , summer only in daylight preferable before 5 pm.

True, you'll have every gnat in a 4 sq mile radius in your garage. bugs love that paint smell.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

True, you'll have every gnat in a 4 sq mile radius in your garage. bugs love that paint smell.
I haven't used water based paint yet. Is that any better?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have only used it once on a Harley I did. It was supplied to me, not my choice. Really need a temp and humidity controlled booth, fans, blowers to get it to dry. Humidity really affects it's dry time. Waterborne is just base, you still use solvent based clears over them. I'll stick with the solvent bases as long as I can. De. followed Cali on the voc laws so to give an example: PPG's Omni line, which can be limited color wise, I can get in solvent, but the topline PPG is only waterborn at my local jobber. So back to Dupont for the oddball computer color matched solvent basecoats I need. I will say this you don't get a little run in waterbase, the whole panel wants to slide. Like trying to clear a panel in 50 degrees with the slowest activator/reducer you have. Hangs wet forever. I'm sure there's some tricks, I'm just not aware

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, if I had ever considered painting a vehicle, I'd not come within a mile of a paint gun after reading this lol. Sounds like alot of variables involved.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Well, if I had ever considered painting a vehicle, I'd not come within a mile of a paint gun after reading this lol. Sounds like alot of variables involved.

Not to mention having to deal with aerosolized solvents and isocyanates. Painting at home can certainly be hazardous to your health, even with good ventilation. ( explosion proof sealed motor driven fan )

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not sold on the need for a fancy paint booth unless spraying 3 stage whites. This is where I work every day doing body work. My 26x24 garage. I have hot air furnace in the attic and an old school box fan for ventilation. I crack the front overhead door open about 2" for air intake. I do very little complete paint jobs and mostly small scratch and dent jobs. I do have to scuff and buff most jobs but so do the guys with the fancy booths.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Rwd3signs

Reaction score
Easy trick for metallics is throw a little extra reducer in your last coat and cut your pressure down to half of what you sprayed the first 2 coats at. Then back off what your spraying a few more inches. It helps to evenly disburse the metallics. This is especially good for edges and corners where you tend to overlap and muttle the metallics. Simple way to save you from metallic tiger stripes

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Easy trick for metallics is throw a little extra reducer in your last coat and cut your pressure down to half of what you sprayed the first 2 coats at. Then back off what your spraying a few more inches. It helps to evenly disburse the metallics. This is especially good for edges and corners where you tend to overlap and muttle the metallics. Simple way to save you from metallic tiger stripes
Half the pressure and back away from the surface? Wouldn't that cause a dry spray?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not great by any means but I can't afford to have it done. That is how I learned. I sprayed a lot of Jeeps with thinned Rustolium to start. Then a little panel painting. Eventually I stepped up to a complete vehicle. I've never had a booth but I do have a respirator and good ventilation.