First big paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIG_KID

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im stripping down my 91 SCSB and getting ready to paint. The bed is removed and I'm concentrating mainly on the cab. I bought new fenders and one door. I've painted small items before like snowmobile hoods, tractors and they come out pretty good, but never any thing as big as a truck. My main question is do people paint the parts seperatly then assemble or assemble then paint everything in one shot.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is as many different ways as painters. Metallics I like to paint together, solids it doesn't matter. How many extra hands you have assembling painted parts does.

Edit/I'll expand a bit

Come up with a method to get around the cab and maintain a wet edge and stick to it for every coat.

My method would be something like drivers side roof and half way down front and rear pillars, then passenger side roof and pillars, rear cab around to to drivers fender, back to passenger cab corner up to the passenger fender, back to drivers fender up over across the hood and down the pass fender. I'm not long armed where I can get the roof side to side in a sweep.

Watch overlaps in areas like the mirror area, where you've hit the door, the pillar, the fender, and the hood. Another reason I go side to side, it give's a few minutes flash to those areas. Also I paint in a crossdraft where overspray moves forward. Read or ask for the tech sheets on the paint you're using, tons of info there. Use the right temp activators and reducers for the environment. Patience on flash times. Maybe more info then you needed.

Oh, and learn how to do the Curly Shuffle getting around dragging a hose! lol

Just my way and there is a thousand others.

Last edited:

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with Hipster regarding solid or metallic colors. You can still paint metallics separately if painted at the same time if this makes sense. Meaning hang your parts so the are oriented the same and spray with the same pressure and same amount of reducer and coats. I just painted my truck which is my daily driver. I didn't want to ride around with a lot of primer while prepping for paint so it was painted in sections. I replaced the hood with a used on so painted that first and installed. I then prepped the door jambs and removed the doors one side at a time to paint the jambs. Then I prepped and painted the driver side in one weekend. Next the tailgate inside and out by hanging it. The pass. side was painted in anoughter weekend. It is a solid color and I bought a gallon of base coat and reduced it the same amount each time. You can't tell it was painted over a three month period.
You must be registered for see images attach

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
i am disassembling mine for the most part, if you pay attention to mixing even with metallic it doesnt have to be painted at the same time, just maintain the same pressure when painting, only parts not being removed from my truck for paint is the doors

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i am disassembling mine for the most part, if you pay attention to mixing even with metallic it doesnt have to be painted at the same time, just maintain the same pressure when painting, only parts not being removed from my truck for paint is the doors
Pressure, humidity and temperature will all make a difference in how a metallic will lay. Most people won't notice subtle differences but they will be there.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pressure, humidity and temperature will all make a difference in how a metallic will lay. Most people won't notice subtle differences but they will be there.

Also, reduction, gun angle, technique. The trained eye might pick up a difference or a wonky flop in the color like a horrid blend job. Most walk by.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im stripping down my 91 SCSB and getting ready to paint. The bed is removed and I'm concentrating mainly on the cab. I bought new fenders and one door. I've painted small items before like snowmobile hoods, tractors and they come out pretty good, but never any thing as big as a truck. My main question is do people paint the parts seperatly then assemble or assemble then paint everything in one shot.

I just did the same thing to my truck last month. It was my first time painting anything this large either. What Hipster said about the mirror area is right on. I got a huge run there. If I could do it over, I'd take off the hood. I got a lot of dry spray in the center of the hood near the windshield. It was really hard to reach that spot from the side or front while maintaining good technique and not getting into the wet paint. Same thing on the roof. It's a long reach to middle of roof from the side while you're up on a ladder. Since you're removing the bed, make sure you have something back there you can stand on. That will help you to get the center of the roof.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, reduction, gun angle, technique. The trained eye might pick up a difference or a wonky flop in the color like a horrid blend job. Most walk by.
Very true. It really makes a difference with metallics. Solids are sooooo much easier.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did the same thing to my truck last month. It was my first time painting anything this large either. What Hipster said about the mirror area is right on. I got a huge run there. If I could do it over, I'd take off the hood. I got a lot of dry spray in the center of the hood near the windshield. It was really hard to reach that spot from the side or front while maintaining good technique and not getting into the wet paint. Same thing on the roof. It's a long reach to middle of roof from the side while you're up on a ladder. Since you're removing the bed, make sure you have something back there you can stand on. That will help you to get the center of the roof.

If you can stand on the frame a get the roof side to side it's a good way to do it on a reg cab. I'm not that long armed lol A 2 or 3 step step stool is easier to deal with then a ladder and you can turn it towards the vehicle and have something to brace your knees against.

BIG_KID

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good advise. It's a solid color so it will be easier. I've got at least a month before good weather comes around here to be able to paint. Lots more prep stuff to do anyway.