FAWR - Front "Axle" Capacities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blazer Eagle

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the front axle weight rating on a one tone single rear wheel or one ton dually rear is?

I have the 8600 GVWR 3/4 ton with the 454. My truck comes across the scales at 7K empty which means I'm already pushing 3500-4000 lbs on the front suspension with an empty truck. The front axle rating on my truck is 4500 lbs.

I have a 9.5' lance camper I like to haul around that weighs in the 2-3k lb range (the sticker on the back says 2100 lb, but I'm not very confident in its accuracy). So yes, I know I am way over my GVWR with this camper on the back, but save your sermon. I'm also lifted 4" and rolling on 35" tires if that eases your fears.....

My concern is that I am overloading the front suspension. Do I have any upgrade options that are bolt on from a true one ton truck? If not, what are my options? A dana 60 SAS is definitely on my mind...so are the GMT800's and the 8.1l.... What gets at me a little bit though is that this camper is a 1980 model, is my '95 really less capable than a 1980 one ton?