Family Truck 95 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron Poston

Reaction score
I'm new to this site and I just gotta thank everyone for the knowledge and ideas for these trucks. I'm only 20 but these trucks have been in my family since I was little. They're my favorite. My uncle has a 88 single cab stepside project and my dad and I have "joint custody" over a 95 extended cab Z71.

The 95 was my grandpa's truck that he ordered with all the options he wanted way back when. I grew up so much in this truck, I remember my cousins and I fighting in the backseat over stupid things.

Well in 2010, my grandpa wanted something newer and more comfortable and he hated the 2010 Silverados and would never get a Ford but he ended up with a Dodge ram with the hemi. He loves it but my dad couldn't let the old Chevy go to just anybody so he bought it. We did a tune up and replaced some things like fuel filter and some other little parts but it was basically brand new inside and in excellent condition. We don't have many pictures of it when we first got it but it didn't change much until the last year or so.

This is when I took the toolbox off for the first time in 20 years to go dirtbiking with my friends
You must be registered for see images attach
and this is it with the toolbox

Last edited:

Aaron Poston

Reaction score
The first things my dad and I did to the truck in about 2013 was change the stereo system because the factory speakers blew and we wanted more bass and louder music. So we put 2 12s under the back seat and replaced all the speakers. We put led taillights because the stock ones were cracked and faded. We also put dual batteries and changed the air intake because the stock one was broken. That was just about it until last year. We weren't crazy about upgrading stuff but once we started seeing what other people were doing and I found this site, we started thinking about what we wanted to do to the truck.

Aaron Poston

Reaction score
So we had the motor and tranny rebuilt last year. The truck had about 190,000 and it was showing its age. A family friend gave us a throttle body spacer so we put that on but I couldn't feel a difference. We also put a full flowmaster exhaust because the old system was rusted holes in spots. I worked at a led company doing mainly kitchen cabinet and commercial truck lighting so I put a strip of leds under the hood. I just wired it into the reel up work right because the bulb base was broken and it had a switch.

Aaron Poston

Reaction score
We don't drive the truck much because it only gets 12 mpgs but one day my dad took it to work, I usually just take it off roading in the Arizona deserts. Well he just left our house and the hood flew up and got all bent out of shape. He says he closed it the night before when he was working on it but anyway, we needed a new hood. A perfect excuse because he's always wanted a cowl hood.
also put new headlights and parking lights on as well

Aaron Poston

Reaction score
That's about all we've done until last week. I got the truck some goodies. Tow mirrors and led switchbacks. I had to replace the parking light sockets because the old bulbs were corroded so bad and the sockets broke getting them out. I soldered them after I tested everything with butt connectors. Just an OCD thing I guess. Also had to replace the anchor clips for the parking lights so while I was ordering from LMC, I ordered the 4hi harness from them because I wanted it to be really clean and neat under the hood. Also my friend gave me his 30 in light bar so I mounted that on the bumper as well.

Aaron Poston

Reaction score
Yesterday, my friend gave me some stuff to tint the taillights and I've done it on my hyundai and I liked it so doing the truck was so easy. Took like 5 minutes to take them off, mask, and spray them. I love the look. I also picked a different friend up from work because he didn't have a ride home and he thought I was in a newer style truck because of the led switchbacks. That made me feel good lol

Aaron Poston

Reaction score
Went to the junk yard the other day and picked up a couple things. I plan on adding more leds to the truck. I was thinking bed lights and reverse lights on switches so I got these to put switches in. Not sure which one to use yet. The garage door opener and map lights would be awesome to have. I gotta read the overhead console thread more though and see.
20180316_170548-jpg.198104