Factory Exhaust Differences by Model

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
It's not true duals. Only dual out muffler.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
OK,gotcha.I was thinking of doing that to my Burb at one time,mainly for looks,probably no performance gain I would guess.At least none that's noticeable.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Both my 97' Z71 and my 99' Tahoe 4x4 have dual 2 1/4" from manifolds to cats to dual inlet muffler with single 3" exit running out the rear passenger side.

I believe all the 96'-2000 5.7L Vortec got this stock exhaust with 4 oxygen sensors along with the updated OBD2 systems.

Ironroad9C1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so I am new to this forum. I've recently bought a 94 C2500 Hd ext cab truck with the 5.7L. I noticed when I bought it that it had factory twin pipes exiting the passenger side behind the tire. I've seen many others including a couple family members that didn't come this way.

My question and post is generally looking for input from other owners as to what the factory exhaust sizes were for the different makes and models.

I'm not near my truck right now so I can't look under it and tell what size the downpipe is or how many cats are on it. All I know is that it came with dual pipes. Really I'm curious to whether it's got a decent exhaust already and if I should mess with it. Is it possible that the 2500 Hd (8600gvw 8 lug) had better exhaust options than the 2500 LD (7200gvw 6 lug)? Anyone with ideas or inputs please let me know. Thanks a lot

http://catalog.walkerexhaust.com/ca...alkerexhaustasset&locale=en&loadStatus=ACTIVE

over 8500lbs grvw got the dual tail pipes, you can get the setup from Walker , on rock auto.

Old Blue

Reaction score
I know this is an older thread, but if the OP is still wondering, my 1995 C2500 HD has a 350 and it has the twin pipes exiting behind the passenger rear wheel. My truck is 100% stock with 65,000 miles.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
My '88 C3500 SLE with a 454 had dual tips, was factory. I thought either the BB or 350 trucks got them. Didn't see that as an option within the literature I bought for it but that doesn't mean it wasn't optional..
My '89 K1500 Scottsdale with a 350 has dual tips, but it's not the factory exhaust. Looks factory though, like my '88 did.

Like others said, fake duals. Both trucks have a Y pipe that necks down into what looks to be a 3" pipe or around there. Hits the muffler near the axle, then splits into the fake duals.

Rich Suhanov

Reaction score
My buddies dad bought a 1988 extended cab long box k1500 5.7 liter brand new. It had a single 3 inch coming off the y-pipe but had dual 2 1/4 pipes exiting behind the passengers rear wheel. Another odd feature was that it was so low to the ground from the factory many people mistook it for a 2wd.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not true dual exhaust. Dual from muffler back. The single cat converters wrecked the true dual concept.
Depending on suspension choice and tire profile / size a 4x4 can appear more like a two wheel drive. A white standard cab S/B drives by my house, if it wasn't for the 4X4 decal on the tail it looks like a two wheel drive pickup.