Exploring Options, the 2WD 4" Lift Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Hey everyone, you might know me as the newbie who's recently taken delivery of a 1991 C1500. I got a lot of plans in the future for this truck but one of them is still in the air. I love the look of a lowered GMT400 but I absolutely adore the look of a lifted one as well. As far as purpose goes, I'd love to have a vehicle that I could take off-road a bit (not trying to go mud bogging, just something that wouldn't bottom out every five seconds) plus the benefits would be substantial since my old hometown is filled with potholes that you'd break an ankle in.

So I'm exploring options for lifting my little 2WD. Options seem a bit more limited than they did back in '08 or so. I know the only two companies that seem to really make kits of us anymore are Rough Country and Fabtech, which Fabtech seems to be the same stuff as RC just double the price (maybe a quality thing?). I'm really only looking for a 4"-5" lift overall after it's all said and done. After exploring my options, here's what I've come up with.

1. 4" RC Lift Kit

2. Coil Spacers + PA 3" Body Lift

3. Lift Spindles + ORD Rear Shackle Flip Kit

4. Coil Spacers OR 2500 Coil Springs + 2500 Rear Leaf Springs (Maybe not 4" total lift?)

What would you guys do? The coil spacers and body lift seem to be the most cost efficient method of lifting, and since 1. and 3. seem to cost about the same I'd be more inclined to go the rear shackle flip way so I could retain light towing abilities (bikes, ATVs, etc) without worrying about axle wrap.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Spindles. One & done. Ive had spacers alignment was **** rode horrible. Body lift will leave the frame 6" from the ground look horrible. Spindles & a block run 32s all day. Factory ride & looks sweet.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spindles and either a block or add-a-leaf.
My 94 1500 came with the fabtech spindles and I love em. No idea on rough country for 2wd, only have their 2-3 on my 4wd burb but I would bet they're still good quality.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not the best pic. First time owning it I had a block in the back but when I bought it back someone had taken the block out for more of the cali-pre runner look.
You must be registered for see images attach