Exhaust setup for most power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shakermaker

Reaction score
My old true dual exhaust rusted out, so cut my mufflers off and put a cheap dual in/dual out muffler on to keep the noise down until I get another setup. I don't have cats either. I recently put bigger tires on, and can notice a decrease in oomph (obviously). What exhaust setup would I most benefit from, as I am looking performance, not sound. Single exhaust? Dual in dual out? True duals again? Thanks.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For performance, you want a system with as few restrictions as possible. Flowmasters are restrictive. They use baffels to direct the flow. A muffles that you can see through does not have restrictions. Old school glass packs are not restrictive at all, and they are cheep. Magnaflows are also not restrictive. True duels, with an X pipe before the non restrictive mufflers, with a set of headers should give the best performance. Shot tube headers, are good for bottom end (take off) power, and long tube headers are better for about 3000 RPM and up power. I have shorty headers, true duels with 2 old school 24 inch long glass packs, and no cats on my truck. I am very happy with my system. I would like to add an X pipe, but just haven't don it yet. May be one day. Also a larger diameter pipe after the muffles and mufflers that match that large pipe will help some too. An engine is in a way an air compressor. The more air you can get into, and then out of it, the more power it will make.