exhaust recticted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i have a 94 k2500 suburban and the exhaust when i got it was shot,so i removed the cat and muffler for the cat back.I had 2.5 on the y pipe to a 3 inch pipe going to the cat and muffler,now i have the y pipe still with the 3 inch to a 2.5 pipe strait to a dynomax muffler center center.I got al most 18 mpg and now i get around 13 14 mpg,i have replaced cap rotor,plugs,wires, and egr vaule too.So is my exhaust rectiting my motor making it getting poor gas milage?I just need to know before i start dumping more money in the big beast.thanks yall

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're no longer running a cat. converter that would explain your loss of 4-5 mpg.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if i make it 3 inch with muffler that should make the differce right?I just what to know if i need a cat back on or can i ran strait to the muffler.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The easiest way to tell if your exhaust is restriceted, get a vacuum gauge. I can't remember the test off hand, but it should come with instructions. Or, take it to a shop and have them do the test. It doesn't take a minute.

Making sure I understand this, you had a cat and a muffler. You removed them added some pipe and a new muffler? And then your MPGs dropped by 4 gallons?

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You don't actually need a cat, at all. Its an emissions device, your engine will run better without it. The only thing you actually need cats for is to keep it legal. Cats do not improve MPGs, if its a stock cat, then its actually gonna make you drop a little gas mileage. If its a high flow cat, you'll break about even.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well am thinking on running 3 inch true dual pipes and h pipe with super 44s is this to much for the bone stock motor,I think this well increase mpg and increase airflow.But for now i put a 3 inch strait pipe on it now it it got better and very very very lound,I was told running strat pipes on a tbi set up will runin the egr and other emission stuff is this true?

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well am thinking on running 3 inch true dual pipes and h pipe with super 44s is this to much for the bone stock motor,I think this well increase mpg and increase airflow.But for now i put a 3 inch strait pipe on it now it it got better and very very very lound,I was told running strat pipes on a tbi set up will runin the egr and other emission stuff is this true?

I do know some vehicles EGRs won't function right, but I don't know if GM TBI motors are set up like that. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything to it. I know of 2 '89s that have duals, no cats, and dual glass packs, didn't mess anything up.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well right now am running 3 inch single with a thrush muffler i just want it lounder and more performace,What would be the better rounte single 3 inch or truel dual 2 1/2 or 3 inch piping with flowmasters and hiper on a 350 tbi? any ideas

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dual 2 1/2s or 3 inch duals, depends on how you drive and how you use your truck.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am looking for power and torque for the weekend mud hole,and good enough for a dd and depndable for hiwway driving i dount care about the lound ness of it just for the increasing power and sound.What size pipe woulnd be the best rounte and good for later mods like cam head work ,I am looking in swaping it to the lsx series but not sure but i what to keep it some what stock looking so when i race they well think it is a big slow turd rofl.:evillol: