Exhaust pricing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have true dual no cats single chamber mufflers into 4in tips. About to be having to make four hour road trips for the next foreseeable future to college. Got a quote for going stock at $150 and for a flow master or something of that sort for $300-400. College boy here is ballin on a budget so basically, is this a good price? Does the difference make the trade off worth it?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
What do you need to do? it sounds like you already have a good setup.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
You weren't terribly specific as to what the prices cover, or what you are trying to do.

Is 150 for stock, to put a stock muffler in what you already have? Or complete manifold, y pipe, cat, etc?

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
It seems like he is trying to quiet down his truck for highway driving.

Man, all you need are some bigger mufflers. Cut the old ones out, weld in new ones. Done. Look at dynomax super turbo mufflers. Great flow and extremely quiet.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for not being specific fellas.

Current is true dual into two single chamber mufflers into 4x18 tips. Really loud and no back pressure, awesome but no longer practical.

$150 is for the stock parts, and the labor, which will be duals into a Y into the muffler out the tailpipe

$300-400 is for a performance muffler two in two out into probably smaller tips or the same as long as it's quiet, including labor.

No cats on any of these options.

I am trying to make it pleasant for interstate travel and increase mpg but if economical, keep some performance. There is where I ask if the performance option is really worth the extra money on a tight budget. Any and all opinions welcome thanks guys I'm learning a lot.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Sorry for not being specific fellas.

Current is true dual into two single chamber mufflers into 4x18 tips. Really loud and no back pressure, awesome but no longer practical.

$150 is for the stock parts, and the labor, which will be duals into a Y into the muffler.
$300-400 is for a performance muffler two in two out including labor.

No cats on any of these options.

I am trying to make it pleasant for interstate travel and increase mpg but if economical, keep some performance. There is where I ask if the performance option is really worth the extra money on a tight budget. Any and all opinions welcome thanks guys I'm learning a lot.

In that case I would simply do as Slowburb suggested, and swap mufflers on your current setup.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
I have true dual no cats single chamber mufflers into 4in tips. About to be having to make four hour road trips for the next foreseeable future to college. Got a quote for going stock at $150 and for a flow master or something of that sort for $300-400. College boy here is ballin on a budget so basically, is this a good price? Does the difference make the trade off worth it?
If you go for the flowmaster, depending on your setup the drone may differ. But, the Flowmaster Super 44 has a slight drone at freeway speeds, but nothing unbearable. Personally, I love the sound of exhaust in the cabin, but to each their own. Being that the suburban exhaust is way further back from the driver, the drone isn't too bad. From the 3rd row, it's a bit louder but is still manageable. If you're going for no drone, highway commuter do like slowburb said and add a big muffler. That'll quiet her right up. Best of luck to whatever you decide.