Exhaust Idea and o2 Sensor Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I have a '97 with the Vortec and has the true dual with two cats into a muffler and a single muffler pipe out. Well personally I don't like a dual exhaust and want to get rid of the cats becuase at 262,000 miles I don't think they are helping me too much anymore. So my plan was to get a new Y-Pipe form a '93 Chevy from Autozone since it is cheap and doesn't have a cat on it. My first question is will a '93 Y-Pipe fit my '97?

And second questions is does anyone know exactly what happens when your o2 sensors are unplugged? I read somewhere that it will put the computer in safe mode and you lose power. Is this true or will it just tell the computer its not reading anything?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not recommend removing the converters because its illegal and if you were caught you could pay a fine of up to 10,000$ and the o2s you can only remove the ones after the converters because the way the o2s sensors work is once the engine is in closed loop mode the o2s before the converters tell the computer if you running to rich or to lean without them you could potentially fry your engine if I were you i would buy some decent high flow converters and a nice sounding muffler so I could stay street legal and have better performance also the y pipes on the older trucks are a lot worse than the ones on the newer Vortec motors also what motor do you have because 350s have 2 cats and 305 and smaller have 1

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok first of all i would like to say to 97c1500 post i never said i am not running a cat. I just said I am getting a Y-Pipe for a '93 because it doesnt have a cat on it already which jumps the price up like $100 when i can get a Y-Pipe for a 93 for $50 and then get a high flow cat. I just wanna make sure the Y-Pipe will work on a 97. And its got the 350 so I have 2 cats.

And after doing some more research I am gonna hook up the front o2 sensor to keep my air/ fuel mixture good and then probably make a simulator for the post cat o2 sensors so i dont have to get bungs for that and then throw a code with a high flow cat.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
don't buy the 93 y-pipe they flow so much worse than whats on it already