Exhaust drone with muffler delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now my 97 5.0 Vortec has a flow master muffler (not sure which one) and 1 cat. Other friends 98 had 2 cats so i think previous owner deleted one when i bought it. Will i get too much drone if i run 1 cat and no muffler?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
its all personal preference. Try it and if you dont like it, throw the **** back on.

Thatfordguy

Because I can!!
Reaction score
With my 350 i changed it up to true duals. Factory cats are still in and then 2.5 straight piped. It's not obnoxious at all with very little to no drone

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Flowmasters do drone quite a bit. I think you'd be better off with another type of muffler if you don't like the drone.

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Flowmasters do drone quite a bit. I think you'd be better off with another type of muffler if you don't like the drone.
Yes, Flowmasters do have a drone. Try Dynomax or Borla (though more expensive), they are not so loud Personally, I have a Dynomax Turbo II, on my 5.3 swapped 1994 c1500 shortie. I have a grunt but not loud. Sounds like an Escalade's oem exhaust, which is what I wanted.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Amo6969

Reaction score
I have a 98 5.7 vortec and my check engine lights comes on here and there for my o2 sensor and im pretty sure i have a clogged cat and i was considering deleting or hollowing my them and since its my daily idk if that will effect my performance in a bad way or bad for my engine with less back pressure. I just dont wanna screw up my motor which has 255k miles on it by doing so and i was wondering if it would constantly make my check engine light be on because the o2 sensor

karl02

Reaction score
I agree that Flowmaster has a slight drone aside from being loud.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please don't run with a muffler delete. It's loud and makes the rest of us GMT400 owners look like idiots!

Not all Flowmaster mufflers I drone. I run the Super 50 and really enjoy it.

You must be registered for see images