exhaust cut out??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hi guys i have a full exhaust with headers y pipe, high flow cat, and spintech duals. i wanted my truck to be louder and was wondering if a cut out would sound good or crappy, a shop wants to charge me 100 to build and install one and i was thinking about it. i also live in CA so i think it would have to go behind the cat.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
yea a cut out would make it sound like a drag car so its really up to the sound you prefer imo. i too live in ca and i was told behind the cat if i wanted to do it. when i was putting my cat back in i cut out the old one and drove it too the muffler shop like that and it was pretty loud.

Reaction score
I've been in the same situation, and I've run cut-outs in the past with middling success. A cut-out will indeed be louder, and will certainly sound mean at part- and full-throttle, but very seldom do they sound very good at idle or cruising without a big cam to rough-up the idle (if you place the cut-out on the Y-pipe that is). Having become tired of the drone from the cut-out, I opted to skip that on my next truck and instead went with a Borla XR-1 race muffler in place of the stock muffler, and I can't express how much happier I was with it than the cut-out. It sounded nice and deep at idle, had a nice crisp (but fairly loud) part-throttle sound, and sounded beyond vicious at full-throttle. Also, if loud is what you really want, I would just rev my engine (stock LQ4) in my office parking garage and could set off car alarms three floors above me. ;)

Tom

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
I know in PA you will fail an inspection if the cutout is before the muffler.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I have driven several V-8 car's and truck's to the muffler shop with nothing but manifold's, that can be fun except when a cop passes by and you have to coast by them while idleing!

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey man I also have the TBI and I HAD the same exhaust setup as you. Y pipe with 1 cat, hated how it sounded and wanted something better so I got 2.25" true duals with 2 hi flow cats (1 on each pipe) and it sounds AMAZING now. It's alot louder and throaty. In crackles and pops only when you really open it up. Sounds like a machine gun at high RPM. Gained some top end power too. I really need to get an exhaust clip you should hear before you install a cut out. Cut outs just sound ****** like open headers. It will just be REALLY REALLY loud with a really LOUD ****** tone.

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey man I also have the TBI and I HAD the same exhaust setup as you. Y pipe with 1 cat, hated how it sounded and wanted something better so I got 2.25" true duals with 2 hi flow cats (1 on each pipe) and it sounds AMAZING now. It's alot louder and throaty. In crackles and pops only when you really open it up. Sounds like a machine gun at high RPM. Gained some top end power too. I really need to get an exhaust clip you should hear before you install a cut out. Cut outs just sound ****** like open headers. It will just be REALLY REALLY loud with a really LOUD ****** tone.
I would love to hear a clip. It's just that in ca I think a y pipe is needed to pass smog. But the Borla is another good option. My brother has borla with hookers on his camaro and it sounds quiet at idle bt mean as hell when he revs up.