Engine too old to Chip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bestof1999

Reaction score
hey guys my 6.5l diesel just passed 240k, bought it awhile back and i was wondering if i could add a "chip" for some more power and the #9 thingy for more fuel coming in. I have some blowby (as much as my 6.2l diesel has with only 112k) i wanted to know if i could push it without blowing anything. Thanks

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey guys my 6.5l diesel just passed 240k, bought it awhile back and i was wondering if i could add a "chip" for some more power and the #9 thingy for more fuel coming in. I have some blowby (as much as my 6.2l diesel has with only 112k) i wanted to know if i could push it without blowing anything. Thanks

A 6.5 is a time bomb. If it has lived this long, dance around it with some magic smoke while chanting. Whatever you do don't mess with it.

bestof1999

Reaction score
Justin, my mom does lawn care im sure she has an extra one around somewhere
Skylark, Ive been around a few 6.5s, if you treat them right they seem to outlast the truck itself, or in my case, the master cylinder for the clutch :/ then rockauto sends me the wrong part. But anyways, i hope it last the many 300 mile drives back and forth, if not i got an s10 on standby ready to rock and roll, but ive seen 2 engines go through the tests of 300k

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Justin, my mom does lawn care im sure she has an extra one around somewhere
Skylark, Ive been around a few 6.5s, if you treat them right they seem to outlast the truck itself, or in my case, the master cylinder for the clutch :/ then rockauto sends me the wrong part. But anyways, i hope it last the many 300 mile drives back and forth, if not i got an s10 on standby ready to rock and roll, but ive seen 2 engines go through the tests of 300k
Have seen many 6.5 and 6.2s run 250k, and only get rid of em because the truck has rotted off the chassis. They're definitely not the best diesels out there, but not as bad as everyone thinks

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many neglected 350's have gone 500k plus? How many 6.5's with good maintenance have been lucky to make 300k? I have a 104k boat anchor 6.5 sitting in my 2000 dually and a 124k boat anchor in a 94 dually. My faith in the 6.5 is jaded.

bestof1999

Reaction score
How many neglected 350's have gone 500k plus? How many 6.5's with good maintenance have been lucky to make 300k? I have a 104k boat anchor 6.5 sitting in my 2000 dually and a 124k boat anchor in a 94 dually. My faith in the 6.5 is jaded.
in fact, i have only seen 1 350 go that long.. I have seen a neglected 6.2l get 350k.. Was a 82 and i think those had issues compared to the later versions

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Either way, with that mileage, imo i'd leave it alone, I wouldn't risk trying to get a little extra power with something high mileage and potentially shorten its life.

THEFERMANATOR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will find you get VERY biased 6.5L info here. The 6.5 bashing here is worse than most FORD forums I've been on. Yes you can chip it, but I would save your money and do other mods 1st. Do things like upgrade the cooling system to the balanced spin on fan clutch water pump, make sure all the cooling system is up to par, put an exhaust on it and get teh EGT's down, find a K47 airbox to let it breathe better, reloacte the PMD/FSD out of the engine bay and get a spare to carry in the glovebox, better lift pump like the 93 style, and all the other general maintence. Before I would even CONSIDER chipping one, I would replace the stock turbo with either an A TEAM TURBO, or even one of the HX based HOLSET's. The stock turbo is a killer of these engines. They run WAY to much backpressure on the exhaust skyrocketing EGT's, not to mention choking the intake off. MANY peopel out there chipping high milage 6.5's, and having them live just fine, but you MUST do the supporting mods FIRST! THEN THINK about chipping it.