Engine swap input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blaze4g63

Reaction score
hey guys

I have a 92 k1500 350 tbi and the engine is at about 250k and feeling really sluggish. I was wondering what the best swap would be along with the easiest and reliable. I have heard about doing an ls swap and I would like a little bit more power then the stock tbi thanks for the input guys. The truck is also at heavy half with 14bolt rear

99kon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only thing people see as "hard" is wiring.
But now a days there are people all over doing plug and play harnesses. Very simple

LS will be a big upgrade compared to the TBI engine.
I have and am currently swapping my 96

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5.3 or 6.0 LS series motors are the way to go. Did it to my '94 W/T Shortie. They are cheap and plentiful. Best way and most cost effective wat is to get a donor vehicle. One can be had for about $1500. Then custom mounts $100, $100-250 LS for ECU tune and removal of the VATS. Misc $500. For under $3k you can do it, of course providing you do the labor. If you watch your budget, I have seen guys do the whole swap for under $1500. How? Half price day at their local U pull it junkyard. And they pull everything off the engine bay.

Now all this is including the fact that you mod your harness. If you purchase one, it's an extra $500 at least. Modding the harness is not hard at all.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5.3 or 6.0 LS series motors are the way to go. Did it to my '94 W/T Shortie. They are cheap and plentiful. Best way and most cost effective wat is to get a donor vehicle. One can be had for about $1500. Then custom mounts $100, $100-250 LS for ECU tune and removal of the VATS. Misc $500. For under $3k you can do it, of course providing you do the labor. If you watch your budget, I have seen guys do the whole swap for under $1500. How? Half price day at their local U pull it junkyard. And they pull everything off the engine bay.

Now all this is including the fact that you mod your harness. If you purchase one, it's an extra $500 at least. Modding the harness is not hard at all.

Hope this helps.

If you buy a donor right you can make some money. I paid $700 for a donor, kept the engine and everything to make it run. I gave away the transmission, the entire front end and the wheels and tires to friends. I parted out the rest for over $900.
You must be registered for see images attach

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you buy a donor right you can make some money. I paid $700 for a donor, kept the engine and everything to make it run. I gave away the transmission, the entire front end and the wheels and tires to friends. I parted out the rest for over $900.
Good score !! I pieced mine together and it nickel and dimes me to death. Best is to get a donor. And also if you got the place to wrench that helps out alot

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good score !! I pieced mine together and it nickel and dimes me to death. Best is to get a donor. And also if you got the place to wrench that helps out alot

This was all done in my 20 x 20 garage and my driveway. We started out about 8 in the morning and drove the truck in and by about 3 in the afternoon this was the end result.

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's a good year, make and model to get a good 6.0 LS ? Thought about doing this to my 94 GMC K1500.... Any suggestions about the transmission hooking up to 4wd...