Engine Oil Cooler Upgrade: Add 2 quarts! (SAS guys you'll want to see this)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txgp17

Reaction score
For anyone running a 13/16-16 thread filter, like the one used in this mod, Donaldson makes a synthetic filter that's much better. It's a P166564. The P550964 is rated at 40 microns, while the P166564 is rated at 22 microns.

I think this is an awesome mod, but not option for me as I have no plans to ditch the IFS.

Clark Volk

Reaction score
Can somebody please tell me the bolt size and length and thread to mount this f****** thing I had the bolts split up with old lady they disappeared off tool box please help

You must be registered for see images attach

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
they should be 5/16-18 but I don't know how long. take it with you to the hardware store and get some that stick out 1/2 to 3/4 inch

Cisco

Reaction score
So I was doing some research and found your thread here bro. I hope this helps you out if you haven't already taken care of it already. Just got to this point myself...

Cisco

Reaction score
This is off my 97 k1500 suburban... Hope it helps you and anyone else who might be (or will be) in this predicament one day... As anyone who works on cars for any extended period, it happens:33:.... But we don't speak about that;):Big Laugh:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but I finally got around to installing the cooler adapter I pulled off the 350 and new lines on the new radiator in the van. I cleaned the oil cooler adapter in my ultrasonic cleaner after removing the bypass valve. I put a new GM bypass valve into it. The 383 now carries 40 psi at hot idle rather than 25 psi. It also carries 50 psi going down the highway rather than 40 psi. The lifters are also now much quieter at hot idle.

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions.
Are you using both the radiator cooler and the external cooler?If so, how did you plumb it up?
For IFS apps, we would use all the things listed above, except for the larger filter and adapter?
What truck did you get the cooler out of, and is a factory part for that truck?
I found the exact same size cooler off of a Blazer and used as a tranny cooler Also some '92-'94 suburbans used this size as well as I took both of them off of these trucks. I personally have not seen this cooler as an oil cooler. Glad to stumble on this post!

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but I finally got around to installing the cooler adapter I pulled off the 350 and new lines on the new radiator in the van. I cleaned the oil cooler adapter in my ultrasonic cleaner after removing the bypass valve. I put a new GM bypass valve into it. The 383 now carries 40 psi at hot idle rather than 25 psi. It also carries 50 psi going down the highway rather than 40 psi. The lifters are also now much quieter at hot idle.
Where is the bypass valve? So you chose not to go with the external cooler and used the regular setup with the radiator?