Engine Oil Cooler Upgrade: Add 2 quarts! (SAS guys you'll want to see this)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Power steering cooler? its on the passenger side... I didn't know this when I posted this but I looked up my VIN with the VIN decoder and I have the z88 (iirc) towing package and I think that comes with a transmission oil cooler. I think that's what I have. I don't know why one would need a power steering cooler but maybe it was an option. I would think power steering would be on the driver side since that's where the pump and steering gear are located.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Probably your power steering cooler. I have one behind the grille on mine.

And If anybody is ambitious, you should be able to run the vertical filter adapter with one of the newer "short" filters. All the GMT800's I've seen use a filter that is the same diameter and seal, but about 2" shorter. Should clear the driveshaft, and it's not like you need clearance for the shaft to travel.
IIRC GMT400 trucks used a standard thread, while GMT800 trucks use a metric thread.

Power steering cooler? its on the passenger side... I didn't know this when I posted this but I looked up my VIN with the VIN decoder and I have the z88 (iirc) towing package and I think that comes with a transmission oil cooler. I think that's what I have. I don't know why one would need a power steering cooler but maybe it was an option. I would think power steering would be on the driver side since that's where the pump and steering gear are located.
Pass side, infront of the radiator is trans, driver side infront of radiator is engine oil, driver's side tall and skinny next to radiator is power steering cooler.

zilverado71

Reaction score
Here's a funny question. How long do you have NO oil pressure after starting your engine every oil change with all this setup?? 4 Seconds at least I imagine. Something to remember; after every oil change, unplug your coil wire, and crank your engine for a good 15 seconds... This will put oil back in your lines so your pistons aren't moving and 1,800 revolutions per minute without oil pressure for any amount of time. Do this as well as fill your filter up before installing.