Electric fan set up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It should support itself, and with no fan blade in there to chop it up there's not much to worry about.
i was thinking it would but it was just one thing I was thinking about. It is pretty stiff but I tend to overthink things and was worried about it flopping around and getting into the alt fan some how.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I modified my shroud and kept the upper portion. I can grab a pic later this afternoon if you want ...
If you could that would be good. Theres no rush on getting it. Mines broke at the moment so I would have to get a new one if i thought about doing it that way.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the flex-a-lite fan setup also. I bought them when they first came out, back when they were still shipping with the original controller. However many years later (15-20 I guess I dunno) they are still working great. Although I bought the VSC when it became available.
I saw a voltage drop when the fans came on only if I had something else on like the headlights. LED lights all around fixed that.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
Alright guys, I’m back on this got the shroud made at work it covers the core of the radiator & has 1 1/2 space between it and the radiator. I having a hard time figuring out what fans to put on it, haven’t had it cut for any certain size just yet. What’s the recommendation on the size and a brand that’s decent but not bank breaking?

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
As far as cooling goes, I spare no change...That's just me though. For fans, my #1 choice is Spal, next in line would probably be Flex-A-Lite. I think they use 15" fans in the kits, but I would use nothing less than dual 12's. Utilize the space you have!

mistaake

Reaction score
I had dual Hayden e-fans on a 92 C1500 5.0TBI, worked great in terms of cooling, gained like 2MPG, but at idle the wimply stock alternator couldn't keep up and the battery would actually be discharging. After about a month the Hayden e-fan controller died on me (even though since I'd heard horror stories about them happening, I had separate relays for the fans so barely any load was on the controller) in traffic, on my day off, about a block from work, so I pulled into the parking lot, ripped the whole e-fan setup out, bolted the mechanical clutch fan setup back on, and got where I was going. Between that experience and the factory e-fan on my 99 Crown Vic going out on a really hot day and leaving me on the side of the road with two of my friends, I'll keep the stock clutch fan setup on my Suburban.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone running 05-07 silverado fans? I currently have the 105 amp alternator and am wondering if the 52mm alternator pulley that ls1fans.com sells would good enough to keep up with the fans.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone running 05-07 silverado fans? I currently have the 105 amp alternator and am wondering if the 52mm alternator pulley that ls1fans.com sells would good enough to keep up with the fans.

If your going to do the E-fan up grade, the you also need to do the big 3 up grade as well. My 105 amp alt is keeping up just fine, but I had done the big 3 ( big 5 in my case) several months before my fan swap. Here is the write up on what I did.
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/electric-fan-swap-on-the-cheap.41756/

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I plan on using the harness I got off the truck to run the fans, and use my 0411 to control them. But I'll definitely look into the big 3, I believe dad and I may have done it already though over 6 years ago. Ill have to look and see.
If your going to do the E-fan up grade, the you also need to do the big 3 up grade as well. My 105 amp alt is keeping up just fine, but I had done the big 3 ( big 5 in my case) several months before my fan swap. Here is the write up on what I did.
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/electric-fan-swap-on-the-cheap.41756/