Electric fan install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Glover

Reaction score
I'm looking to install an electric fan on my 93 k3500. It's a 454 and while I'm trying to free up some extra hp. I'm thinking I can get away with a junkyard electric fan, but I'm unsure as to what would be a good donor, how much air would I need to move, is there maybe something that fits right in place without going crazy with fab etc... any suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated!

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
454 and junkyard electric fans of questionable CFM? I'd pass. It's hard to keep that many cubes cool; the mechanical clutch fan with shroud does a great job of it and providing the clutch is working properly it is only a HP drag while it's operating, and it's not enough to worry about especially on a big block.

Richard

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I lean towards Richard on this, I put in a latter model plastic fan blade and a new clutch on my 454. I've read that the clutch fans are over 6000 cfm. Most electric fans are closer to 3000 on the high end.

BigPete1954*

Reaction score
I'm looking to install an electric fan on my 93 k3500. It's a 454 and while I'm trying to free up some extra hp. I'm thinking I can get away with a junkyard electric fan, but I'm unsure as to what would be a good donor, how much air would I need to move, is there maybe something that fits right in place without going crazy with fab etc... any suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated!

BigPete1954*

Reaction score
92 yukon 2 door 350. 34" radiator. made bracket for 2 14's from amazon. fit nice. Motor never did run hot and fans hardly run. used relays. blew a/c charge on hot day 85 deg in MN. never knew fans HAVE to run when A/C is running. Changed to dual 16 pullers on the inside. Tie wrapped them in with the kit which worked fine. LOVE the room under the hood. If you have to run the fans and you have a big amp you're going to eventually have to deal with alternators IMO. Rebuilt the a/c compressor seals and changed to 134 and now in process of putting 1 or 2 12" pushers on the condenser that will run when the compressor clutch engages. I will relay them. I would not bother for the HP but the room under the hood is great. The hassle is great also so you have to get some satisfaction out of tinkering to make it worthwhile. [email protected] if more questions.