EGR question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, so technically it's blocked off just with components still in place....that's very interesting.

Yep cant tell anything has been done. Looks stock. But I am getting a check engine light and code for egr insufficient flow lol. More like zero flow haha

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm guessing that it works because it is throwing a code? I would imagine that while a code is being thrown the ecm won't try to operate the egr, so it never adds that extra timing.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If that was the case then technically removing it and blocking it off would also throw the code for a egr malfunction as well. So that would then make me wonder if simply leaving a egr plugged into the electrical harness comes into play. That's the only difference in his. Either that or the stock tune is so soft that the extra timing added doesn't have a negative effect. Normally on a performance NA vechicle people run higher timing where as reduced is used for power adders.

If that's the case then removing the egr and picking up a little timing Shouldn't hurt anything as long as the stock fuel system if functioning properly and your not already running a little on the lean side.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After alot more reading and debating I have decided to just leave the stock manifolds for now and just run a Jegs ORY with (2) Thunderbolt hi-flow cats added to it. That'll give me a upgrade over stock pipes to muffler at least. Wife requires cats after smelling my truck without, lol. I'm also gonna add a Thrush 17637 di/do muffler which I have on my truck and absolutely love the sound of. I'm debating leaving the stock single 3" tail pile which would require a y pipe transition immediately after the muffler or just buying the Walker tail pipe replacement and running it side by side with the stock one so both exit in the stock location.

I'll deal with replacing the manifolds with some Summit shorties when I do the 411 swap. Not worried about giving up top end with shorties as this Tahoe will be a basic daily driver and to tow with. I do wanna go with a GM 14097395 cam and stock LS6 springs as well. That seems like the perfect cam for a bump in stock power range without worrying about any clearance issues or TC upgrades either.

Last edited: