effed up or funny trailering stories?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

603 z71

Reaction score
hey just had quite the day today, helped my dads buddy move today. used paps 98 ecsb 1/2 ton 4x4 with our car trailer to move a decent sized kubota with bucket loaded with attachment and grader on back, soon as the front tires got on the beaver tail of the trailer it picked the ass end of the truck off the ground about 4 inches and then the tounge lock somehow loosened up and the trailer flew off and rammed right into the tailgate then dropped to his back bumper <rotted> and pretty much snapped it in half. then once we fixed it and got it loaded. the exhaust cracked open before the cat somehow. great day

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing your ramps dont have legs on them to prevent that? Also the latch might need to be adjusted so that don't happen again.

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
I was goin through the mountains one night towin out 18ft with out 04 z71. I had 2 four wheelers on the front (400+650 kawasakis) and a smaller trailer on the back of the trailer all strapped down. Ended up cuttin through the back strap i had across the trailer. I noticed the strap was gone and was lookin for a place to pull over, as I came around a turn through the mountains I seem sparks where the trailer came off the back of the trailer. I hit the side of the road with no shoulder and a decent embankment just in time not to lose the trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Well it wasn't on a trailer but my dad and I were towing our hunting jeep back from our lease and all of the sudden my dad saw sparks in the rearview mirror. WE stopped and pulled over immediately and saw that all 5 rear wheel studs had sheared right off

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
When the tranny puked on my truck, I drove it on a long car hauler trailer which was on my moms 97 ECSB, basically the same thing happened as the OP, but the truck came off the ground in the rear like 10 inches lol, then once it was on my moms truck squatted all the way down, and her truck has the F44 which makes it a heavy half, and AAL with Bags. 40 mile drive like that, I thought her tranny was going to puke next.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
ok, so i'll post pics if i still have them but here is my near death trailer experience.

I've had this old farm trailer for a while. was draging it to my brothers shop to install new lights and basicaly give her the go over...... or so i thought. I had my 17.5 hp baby tractor loaded up on her cause i needed to get it tuned and what have you as well. so, there i am, truckin along about 55mph down the freeway when i feel this odd little tug and hear horns honking like crazy..... so i look out the rearview to only see my trailer about 5 car lengths behind me.... MAINTAINING IT'S OWN LANE!!!!! so i slowly put the brakes on so it would reconnect with the blazer's hitch and i could stop the damn thing..... that was successful and went off with out a hitch..... pardon the pun i couldn't help it.

So i get out to set flares since i'm in the middle of the hwy..... i set them 300' behind me and set ATLEAST a dozen.... no way people can't see me..... i go to check to see if maybe i could limp it a lane over to get it off to the side of the road.... in Tx if you block the hwy when you could limp to the shoulder you "could" get a ticket.... considering i didn't have tags on this damn trailer.... i didn't want that **** to happen..... as soon as i take a look, some stupid ***** rearends me..... WHILE I'M STANDING BETWEEN THE BLAZER AND TRAILER! i know i know, i'm a paramedic i shoulda known better..... i didn't think about it.... by an act of the almighty, she hits it just right to make the trailer **** to one side, not to mention i have a crazy hitch that kept it from being pushed straight under the trailer thus severing my legs....... she knocked the blazer and trailer 16' foward.

now i know this seems alittle odd, but while my life was being flashed before my eyes, i manage to look up a split second before she slammed on her brakes and see that she's TEXTING ON HER DAMN PHONE!!!! she promptly see's the stopped obstruction in the road and slams on the brakes.... when she gets out of what's left of her mustang, she walks up to me and asks if i'm ok and yada yada yada..... anyhow, it happens that she's an ER nurse and was headding to work....... :nono:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
4:30 A.M. Dad & I going out to do some salmon fishin', Rollin' down the Lougheed hghwy. 50 mph. No-one around, just staring to get light. Towing his 19.5' deep 'V', 165hp I/O, that's heavy for it's size. Probably wieghs as much as some 23 footers, plus all the gear. It's being pulled with his square bod 3/4 ton.
Dad was the youngest firstmate, youngest captain of offshore tugs on the west coast of Canada, many years ago, plus a maintenance mechanic for years after that. He SHOULD know his stuff. Should!
Anyways, I'm half asleep, just getting into my second cup of mud, when I feel a terrible vibration, & it's getting worse.
"Dad, did you make sure the hitch is good & tight?"
"Yea, double checked it all last night."
"What the hell is that vibration?"
"Aahhh, it's just the road."
No sooner had he said that, when the passenger side of the boat drops. (Actually the driver side on the boat) Holy crap! Holy freakin' crappy crap!
(Me) "Did the boat just fall off the trailer?"
(Dad) "Nope, I think we just lost a trailer wheel!"
So Dad manages to get the the whole rig pulled over to the side of the road & stopped. I open the door to get out, & with one foot out...WHAM!!! The passenger door gets smoked by the wheel that came of the trailer! Bends the door so that it's 90 degrees to the truck! After the initial shock of that, Dad asks if I'm O.K? "Yea, no problem" I say, "but DAMN that was close!" I think that I had practically jumped across the inside of the truck, without touching anything! And the Ol'man starts laughing! "You should see the look on your face." he says. "F' you, Dad!" Now we're both laughing!
Sitting on the side of the road, 5 A.M. 2 damaged vehicles, & we're laughing so hard that my stomach is starting to hurt!
So...no fishing that day!
The problem turned out to be those Mopar brakes & drums that Dad had on the trailer. You know, the ones that tighten up one way on one side, but tighten up the other way on the other side. Yea, twist to the LEFT to tighten. What a stupid concept. So that was the project for the next weekend. A complete new axle under the trailer.
This was years ago, & the ol'man just has to say, "Remember when the wheel came off the boat trailer? The look on your face when that tire hit the door!" "F' you, Dad". And we both start laughing! Mom thinks we're both mentally deficient. "Someone could have been seriously hurt!" That's just fuel to the fire. Makes us laugh even harder!

Last edited:

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
that one reminds me of my first breakaway experience.... i wasn't driving though...

Much like the previous fishing story.... my old man, his brother and I are all piled up inside the 1980 f100 headded to the bird lease with a trailer FULL of bird dogs.... had a weekend of slaughtering bobwhite quail and are headded back after 3 days of hunting.... everyone is exhausted.... it's about 5pm and starting to get dark when we feel a strange tug and my uncle says "HOLY **** FATBOY U JUST KILLED THE DOGS!!!" i turn around to see the trailer tongue dig into the fresh asphault and catapult the trailer what must have been 60' in the air.... dad slams on the brakes and it seems like 3 days before the trailer ever makes it back down..... to our supprise it lands upright after doing TWO summersaults in the air. upon impact, the tires blow out, the axle is snapped and the sides have fallen off..... and all 6 dogs are hunkered down inside with their tails between their legs looking like.... WTF WAS THAT!!!!! and then they promptly bolt out of what is left of their trailer and well, lets just say, rounding up birddogs isn't easy anyway, but when they just nearly died..... it's even worse, so.... 2 hours later we finaly get them all rounded up and start back to dallas from nearly 300 miles away.... in a single cab ford, three adult men and 6 bird dogs............ the whole time my uncle kept saying, "GD fatboy, i can't believe you flipped the trailer and didn't kill the dogs" to which my dad would just say "yeah"

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
Just did this. And almost watch the guy lose the hole rig on the interstate
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

603 z71

Reaction score
damn guys, back about 3 years ago me and my paps picked up a 16" landscaping trailer and less then a 1/4 mile down the road it got sideswiped by a drunk driver, candycaned bother axles,blew both pass. side tires instantly. and the force of it twisted the whole trailer and blew out 3 different notches in the wood bottom, this was at about 7 pm. my dad was furious, got out with our expedition still in drive and chased the 22 y.o kid down and whooped his asssss, now my dad is 315 lbs give or take a few and 6 feet tall. the guy was like 6 foot 3 and 170. now my dad works at the local county jail. he worked thrid shift then. next morning my dad told me when he got to work he saw that guy that hit us after he got out of the hospital for multiple stitches on his head and face (95% from my dad haha) the guy litterally SHAT HIMSELF in fear. p.s we didnt get a scratch on us.