Dumping the exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 88 Chevy with the 454 and I'm thinking about cutting the exhaust behind the muffler but before the cat and dumping it down to make it sound maybe better does anybody have this set up does it sound better or help anything I'm thinking I could just save the rest of the system and weld it back on if I need to pass smog later

draginlow

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's pretty loud lol. I have a 91 c3500 with the Tbi 454. On the stock style muffler it wasn't that bad then I had the idea to put on a flow master 40 on it. I had to run it out side of the truck. Im going to tun it out the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I prefer a dumped exhaust. The sound of it hitting the ground makes a noticeable difference. There will be a lot of drone if you don't do it right though. I would suggest dumping it behind the axle.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I have mine dumped. It's dumped before the axle and there's a little drone to it. I also have a spintech 3000 muffler so the drone isn't bad to begin with

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had dumped exhaust before the axle from a flowmaster. From outside of the truck, it sounded great, very beefy and lots of bass. You knew I had a big block with it.

From inside the cab on long trips I wanted to smash my head against the windshield. I couldn't hold a conversation with my wife or anyone in the truck if I was accelerating.

If you were to do it, I would suggest behind the axle to cut down on the drone and noise being pumped back into the cab.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Dumping your exhaust wont fail a smog test. Removing or gutting the catalytic converter will, though. I had mine dumped before the rear axle for about 2 months before I could no longer stand it and extended it behind the axle. It drove me absolutely ape **** with the drone. My wife wouldn't even get in the truck. (which is really not that bad of a thing.....)

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go behind the axel. Mine is in front and I crank the subs so I don't go crazy... going tomorrow to have a new cat and y pipe put on and I'll probably have them extend mine as well.

Pampo'sTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow am I the only one that prefers engine noise to radio noise? lol

You want to talk about drone? Ride my Triumph for Abq NM to Enis TX with NO radio lol. Loves me some engine noise.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Wow am I the only one that prefers engine noise to radio noise? lol

You want to talk about drone? Ride my Triumph for Abq NM to Enis TX with NO radio lol. Loves me some engine noise.

Engine noise is awesome, around the block lol. Listening to whooooooooommmmmmm whooooooooooommmmmmmm whooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm for a few hours, get's maddening lol.