Dual TBI setup on Vortec 5.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Backtobasics

Reaction score
I am thinking about a dual 4 bbl intake manifold with TBI to square bore adapters, and running dual TBI units.

94 Suburban 1/2 2wd. I am replacing the blown 5.7 that came in the truck, with a standard 5.7 TBI for now.

I am contemplating rebuilding the stock 5.7 and going to a 383, with performance cam, rebuilt and port the heads, etc.

Research says that even a "Turbo City" rebuilt TBI runs 590 CFM compared to 520 CFM in stock configuration.

I have not seen a "Vortec" pattern intake manifold in a dual carb configuration. I know "Professional Products" make adapters to allow a standard small block intake to be used on a Vortec application, so I could use an easily found dual quad intake manifold.

What obstacles would I encounter trying to make the 2 throttle bodies work together?

Backtobasics

Reaction score
I have heard that they are very problemmatic.
I have seen several dual quad carb small block chevy intake manifold recently. Transadapt makes several adapters to go from 3 bolt TBI to square bore carb, and they even offer "front or back" positioning, to allow you to have the TBI up close to the front of the intake or more towards the back for spacing accomodations.
Add a 2nd TBI from a salvage yard, and the main components are done, beyond linkage and fuel lines, which I can built with Aeroquip/Russell/Earls through work.

My biggest question is injector firing, and sensor compatibility.

1990GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my dad always had trouble with it,thats why he sold it
and ull need a computer tune afterwards or theres no way itl run right
on a stock engine i really think ud be wasting ur time and money cuz ud prolly drownd it
id just build u a motor

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I always thought it would be fun to try out a dual tbi setup, but I am sure it would be more difficult to get dialed in.

1990GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dual carbs are hard enough to keep right
and carbs are simple,
o yea itd definatly be something eveyone one doesnt have
plus itd be awful intimidating to somone if u pop the hood and uve got 2 throttle bodies sittin there

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Dual carbs have to be set up individually. Dual TBI doesn't if you run it on a Megasquirt or some other programmable fuel injection. You would have to buy a dual carb Vortec manifold and 2 TBI adapters, and fab up a linkage and plumbing. I think it's totally do-able, and would give you better control over fuel than a single TBI.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice $300 manifold
Edelbrock 7526
You must be registered for see images