Driving in 4Hi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Stop tooting the Newfie horn BJ.

:lol:

Just funnin' ya. I've never been to NL so I can't say, I do hear it's been rough up there. Lately here in NB, the secondary roads have been nothing but thick slush, where the temp has risen closer to zero (about -10 last time I checked the thermometer, up from closer to -30 the past week). So, driving 80-90 km/h I don't really have much choice but to use 4x4 with my ECLB, which has awful traction as you're well aware. I could slow down, but I haven't experienced any problems yet.

Note: I have somewhere around 800 pounds of sand in the bed, too. Helps a lot but I still need 4x4 a lot of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like it here at all. I'm here becuase of the job, nothing more, nothing less. As soon as it's up, I'm gone.

My bigest issue with having to use 4x4 to go fast isn't so much the "go", it's the conditions I'm in for stopping.

If I need 4x4 to go 50-100 kph, it's too hazardous to be on the road (or be going that fast, which ever one you like) because there's no way I'm going to be able to stop before I hit the next county....

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have done 4wd ties in the snow, speedo said 80+ in my old 04 crewcab but actual truck speed was at most maybe 25-30 in a VERY fast circle lol.

tksoldierx

Reaction score
I'm curious what the highest speed any of you have heard of or personally hit in 4hi? No way I'm about to try it and hope none of you do either but if it's already been done I'm curious what kind of numbers y'all have reached in it and if everything was okay after
When I was young(er) and stupid(er) I’d sometimes be running late for my curfew an hour away from home, throw it in 4HI and go up to 99mph on the icy roads all the way home. Transfer case is still doing great (somehow), I always stayed on the road (somehow), but the transmission did end up out of commission eventually. However, that’s likely just from stupider driving in general, instead of stupider driving in 4HI.

Last edited: