Downsides to headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm relatively ignorant about performance modifications. I know more than the average person but not nearly as much as many of you here. I know the headers are a great way to increase performance for what is almost a bolt on upgrade. I know a little about how they work but I don't know what disadvantages (if any) they have. If they didn't have any disadvantages why wouldn't they be put on at the factory?

Here's what I know
  • They aren't dirt cheap but they're not extremely expensive. Usually about $200ish-$400ish right?
  • They improve performance... Something about better flow and exhaust scavenging right?
  • I've heard that they put more heat into the engine compartment.
  • Long tubes are usually better right? Why?

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exhaust leaks, header bolts come loose sometimes, and maybe get lost. Lol, wires might touch headers and burn. Other then that I say there great. I got the headmans with a y pipe.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Donut or ball and socket headers rarely leak, check the header bolts everyonce and awhile, other tjen that they are great, my dad had a set of shoty flowtechs on jis 95 for over 10 years, no leaks and only ever replaced gaskets once, headers are still on that truck i bet.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Surely there has got to be some way to make the bolts stay tight... Some kind of a lock nut or something?

So basically assuming one's got a good set of headers the only real problem is the loose bolts?

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its a bolt, the nut so to speak is the head.... the dont make lock heads LOL jk.

Its a time honored tradition among gear heads to tighten loose header bolts.

DroppedAsAChild

OBS Hoarder
Reaction score
I have stage 8 header bolts and They have never come lose. My only issue is my collector bolts keep coming lose or coming out, but I figured out why. I need to get new collector flange gaskets, the stock ones suck. I will be replacing them this spring and I will have no more problems. Also I reccomend running copper gaskets as well. Yes they do cause more heat under the hood, Thats why I bought a cowl hood as well as for appearance. But Youll enjoy them.

Edit: Also DONT use the hardware they include.