Door switches.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
what can be cause of door switches not working? replaced bulbs and i dont seem to get them to do anything, do they only come on briefly when the door opens? ive never had them working so i really dont know, havent tested for power yet since ive left that project alone for the time being. broken wire perhaps? but would that make sense as all 4 doors dont have any illumination to the switches or are they somehow prone to failure?

2000 tahoe Z71 just so we know what we are working with here.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just FYI, all that stuff runs through the headlight switch at some point. Something to do with the dome override circuit. I was having similar issues with the courtesy lights in my Suburban, sometimes they would only come on for a split second, sometimes not at all, sometimes they were fine. Replaced the headlight switch with a new AC Delco one and all issues went away.

You could try jiggling the dome override button, sometimes that would make mine behave differently.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The button is what I was referring to. My courtesy lights worked fine sometimes, but when they acted funny I could usually jiggle the dome override button and make them come back on. That's what gave me the idea to put in a new headlight switch. All the functions on the old one worked fine.

Might be a totally different issue, but if I were in your situation I'd try another headlight switch before you go too crazy tracing wiring and everything. Could probably pull one from a yard for pretty cheap.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well crap I completely misunderstood what you were asking, sorry. Looks like you're talking about the power window and door lock switches. I thought you were talking about the door jamb switches that kicked the courtesy lights on. My fault, sorry for the confusion! You can probably disregard all my rambling about the headlight switch, although I'm not completely sure. I'd imagine it might be part of that circuit, too.

So is it just the illumination or they don't work at all?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
just the illumination doesnt seem to work, tried replacing with LEDs unsure if they are plar or not but couldnt get anything to work still. the illumination for power mirrors works though.