Door lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unable to lock or open my doors manually or electronically. 93 k1500 stepside ref cab have power at both window and actuator switches. Put new actuator. Still no good. Is it the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Manually with the key or manually unlocking with the lock button? If you can't even open the doors, the door handle mechanism is probably broken. Not sure exactly what your issue is. Locking/unlocking or opening.

kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Manually with the key or manually unlocking with the lock button? If you can't even open the doors, the door handle mechanism is probably broken. Not sure exactly what your issue is. Locking/unlocking or opening.

I am unable to lock or unlock. Manually or electronically with power locks. I bought it like this and trying to figure it out. Taking the passenger door apart and was testing for power. Seems to be getting power at the switches but I think the lock /unlock switch is not working.. the actuator gets juice but does not open close.. and I tried it with a new one.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need to test for power at the lock actuators. If you have power at both lock actuators when you press the lock/unlock switch that means your switches are good. Need to test drivers side and passenger side. If you have power at both actuators you probably have a ground issue (or lack thereof).

Last edited:

kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Need to test for power at the lock actuators. If you have power at both lock actuators when you press the lock/unlock switch that means your switches are good. Need to test drivers side and passenger side. If you have power at both actuators you probably have a ground issue (or lack thereof).

I have to test both sides? Where would these be grounded?

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my '89 there is a ground splice inside the drivers side door, towards the front of the door where all the wires exit into the rubber boot, that ties all the ground wires together for the locks and power windows. Not sure what year your truck is but I'd venture a guess that if it's a '88 to '94 the wiring is probably the same.

kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Power Windows work

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you only had an electrical problem the lock would work manually still. I would remove the latch from the door ,clean and lubricate it and make sure it functions as it should before reinstalling. When you get it to work manually then the power locks will work unless you have other problems. If it is jambed so it will not work by hand the actuator will not work it either.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you only had an electrical problem the lock would work manually still. I would remove the latch from the door ,clean and lubricate it and make sure it functions as it should before reinstalling. When you get it to work manually then the power locks will work unless you have other problems. If it is jambed so it will not work by hand the actuator will not work it either.
Good point, Bob L. Didn't even think about frozen mechanisms.

kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
[emoji35]turned out to be a bad, very bad radio,amp sub, install,... Thks 89! Whoever installed it cut into the orange power wire at the relay and made a spaghetti mess. I straightened it out and magic it works now[emoji106]. Might as well sound deaden the doors while I have them apart. Bought new locks and actuators. I plan on rebuilding the struck so new whenever I can.