Does not stay running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95brokeZ71

Reaction score
No need to read the below that I posted. I did a search on this topic on this site and as I suspected, nobody had the answer. Sure did a good job GM of causing a problem within one of your vehicles that can't be resolved. So I'll just keep on searching the net and maybe I'll stumble on a real mechanic and not a parts exchanger that has the answer. However, I might be too late as all the real auto mechanics from days gone by are deceased.
The problem I have it seems is common with a number of the 90's trucks. How do I know? I've researched it for months. The findings: all who have the exact same problem I have do not have any idea what is wrong. They did all the same things I did to fix the problem but nothing worked. Here is the problem. The truck just one day started to misfire, bog down when given gas, then won't idle for more than 5-8 minutes. Like everyone I researched, I changed every top end part of the engine. I even pulled the intake manifold to check the push rods and to clean out the manifold including the egr port. Its a 5.7 ltr. TBI. One difference that I modified years ago was installing a Edelbrock multi-point fuel injection system. I noid tested all the injector wiring, installed new injectors, new fuel tank, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new fuel pressure valve, new IAC, new egr, new plugs, new distributor, no valve springs broken, new oxygen sensor, new coil, new cat converter, new temperature sensor, new egr control switch, new idle control valve, new throttle position sensor, new MAP sensor. Harmonic balancer is not loose or slipping. I did a compression check snd all cylinders were within specs. Did fuel pressure check and it was within specs. Vacuum checked no leaks. Replaced all vacuum hoses.
One person online mentioned its not the engines problem but the transmission is causing the problem. Something to do with a valve on or in the transmission or something else related to the transmission but as he said, not the engine. Don't know if this means anything but one day driving on the freeway white smoke was coming out of the rear. Almost did not get it home as the fluid was draining fast the tranny cooling line was leaking on the exhaust pipe. I fixed the pipe, put in more fluid and was on my way. Engine not blowing any blue or white smoke. So thats it I think. Its not a pretty truck. Its just black primer raised 3 inches, large B F Goodrich tires. This is the only vehicle I bought new. I refuse to get rid of it. I worked on it all last year. Took it to 2 mechanics. The could not find the problem. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: