[DIY] Want "SS" like Emblems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Any of you who drool over the 1990 Chevy 454SS, and love the emblems, but can't get any for your truck? Look no further, here I have finally done it to make my emblems look just like the 454SS! This is a DIY Tutorial.

This topic is especially for the guys who have a 3/4 ton, yet want their truck to look like an SS edition, but there are no SS versions of the 3/4 ton, only the half-ton.

Things you need for this DIY:
(1) Krylon Gloss Black spray paint
(1) Krylon Gloss Banner Red spray paint
(1) Spherical sheet of P800 grit sand paper - recommend 3M sand paper
(1) Thin role of masking tape; Less than an inch wide, maybe 1/2 inch - recommend 3M green
Automotive clear coat - if you want these babies to shine! :D - Not required (do not buy the spray kind!)

Time involved:
2 hours, at least, if not, 3 hours.

What you want to do is, spray at least 3, if not, 4 coats of paint. Check my "DIY Emblems" album on this site for the spray can pictures

Here are your said "emblems": (Those are already sanded, I used 3M P800 grit sand paper, you want it real fine. Sand the bowtie and the numbers.)
View media item 31311
Q: "Why do you do this? I see people on the internet not sanding them?" A: Gives them more contact and the ability for them to not crack and chip easier, better contact.

Here I have gotten the zeros masked off. I forgot to take a picture of the final masking. Took me about an hour, maybe an hour and a half to mask off, not fun:
View media item 31316
Now, we get to do the fun part! Paint! Here is what they look like painted:
View media item 31309View media item 31310View media item 31312View media item 31313
After that, let them dry for at least a couple of hours and they should be dry, dry enough to get the masking tape off, but they still aren't cured yet. Wait for about 24 hours for them to be fully cured.

Now, the moment you have all been waiting for, the finished product!
View media item 31314
I have still yet to paint the bowtie's black and red and clear coat them, but I will post a picture later. I was stoked about this little DIY and it came out great! Can't wait to put them on the truck tomorrow!

Hope you guys liked this little DIY, thought I'd share this with you all, and especially to those people who have 3/4 tons like I do. :)

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
nice! that color looks spot on. can't wait to see it finished.
masking the red is going to be harder than the black background. why not paint black first?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not bad! Color looks like a close match to the original.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
I found it easier to spray the red, mask off the red outline, then paint the black. I will post some pictures tonight, the clear coat was finally dry last night.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Sorry guys, been busy lately.

Here are the final pics:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Being painting my bowtie and tailgate emblem the same way for them to match. I will post pics later for you guys. :)