Dist Timing retard crank/cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a crate engine in recently and finally took it to the dealer to have the timing adjustment dialed in. I was not throwing codes - it was tuned out but I knew it was not set correctly. They were not able to set the the retard because I never connected the cam sensor plug.

I was surprised it ran. It actually runs great. Any way spent some time cruzing here and other threads on setting this up. I can across an interesting post on another forum on setting this with a basic scanner and timing light. I posted up below.

I think I actually cut the plug in error during the install (or its buried in the back) I have to dig around when it cools off.. I have a replacement plug - any one have a pic where it ties into the harness? I chopped a lot of wires.

From another post on setting the spark retard;

"...instead its just another way that may be simpler for someone that may not have the appropriate tools to do a crank/re- learn procedure. This will however require about $200-$400 in tools depending on quality and features but you are much more likely to find freinds/people willing to help that already have these tools rather than finding someone that has a tool with a bidi (Bi-Directional Control) willing to help or paying for the tool yourself that is upwards of $1000 and more! This is what you will need.... 1 - A scanner that can show timing degrees (Most mid-end scanners from NAPA/AutoZone/O'Reilly will now do this) (check with the manufacturer website before making your purchase if you do not already have one as most stores will not allow you to make a return after it has been opened) 2 - A timing-light with an advance setting. (For those of you that have not heard of this tool, its from the carb days but can still be very useful for finding issues with pre-coil-on- plug computer managed timing ignitions however it must have the advance timing feature for it to work for this application) 3 - A balancer/dampner that has a TDC mark on it that can be matched to a accurate TDC point on the engine from the factory. (Most Vortec engines have this from the factory and the TDC engine mark is usually on the timing chain cover) Procedure..... 1 - You must make sure your distributor is set properly. (Pointed to #1 when #1 is at TDC on the firing stroke) (Dont worry about being dead on but it does need to be within 1 tooth out of phase) 2 - Start your engine and observe the timing the computer is commanding. (Should be somewhere around -12 to -25 degrees but could be close to that) 3 - Hook up your timing light and set the advance on the light to match that of the scanner is showing that the computer is commanding. 4 - Observe with the timing light where your TDC mark on the dampner corresponds to the DTC mark on the engine. (It is very helpful to color-in the scribed mark on the dampner with a fine white paint pen) 5 - You now will need to rotate the distributor in the direction needed to line up the TDC mark on the balancer/dampner to the TDC mark on the engine. 6 - Once this done your distribor is now set to what the computer says it should be. If you find that your TDC marks already line up then congratulations as you should be playing the lottery since you somehow dropped in your distributor within a degree or so of what the computer sees or your computer did a self-re-learn procedure on the first key cycle of battery connection. If you run out of left or right movement when turning the distributor then you are more than 1 tooth off and will need to repeat these procedures after re-phasing the disteibutor. Hope this helps someone Thanks "