Delco starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ordered a new starter for my 98 Tahoe. It has the original direct Drive starter on it, so I was going to just replace it with the same type (vs the gear reduction) because I wasn't sure if the bolts or heat shield could be reused.

This is what I ordered:

You must be registered for see images attach

This is what I received, it looks a hell of a lot like a gear reduction starter. The part number 337-1018 matches the direct Drive starter part number on the ACDelco website.

So, besides rigging my old heat shield to work, can the direct drive starter bolts be reused? I saw a thread a while back where some said that the two starters used different bolts.

I notice that the literature says "no modifications" are necessary, but, still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The gear reduction starter I got from DB electric came with bolts. You should always use new bolts anyway. Should be able to get the right ones at part store.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, kind of figured that I should. Do you remember if they were a different size? I seem to remember that they were a different length. Not sure, though.

Which is why I was trying to just get the direct Drive starter in the first place, lol.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You want the crosshatch shoulder area of the starter bolt to fit roughly halfway in the starter body, and halfway into the hole in the block. Hope that makes sense. That area of the bolt should be a little snug in the starter body as that's what keeps it from walking around while operating.

Almost always you need shorter bolts with the mini (gear reduction) starter than what is used with the direct drive units.

Richard

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, Richard.

I found some of your old posts where you had photos comparing the hatched areas on the two different bolt lengths, so I should be good to go.

I'll pull the starter tomorrow and compare the original bolts with the new starter.

I'm not really sure why Delco provides this starter under the direct drive part number...especially if the original bolts and heat shield turn out to be not compatible.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are people who prefer the big heavy old school direct drive starter. I'm not one of those people lol. My guess is Delco followed the money. Gear reduction starters are the way nowadays. It probably costs more to make a specific direct drive starter for an application when a gear reduction starter has been proven to be just as reliable if not more so than the direct drive it replaced.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it's probably all about the Benjamins. It would have been nice if they had tossed a new heat shield into the box, but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The mini is a superior starter. They used to cost a lot to rebuild (years ago) so people would replace them with full size. The mini is more powerful with less current draw, fits in tighter spots (like a dropped truck with a raised Y pipe), and you'll find it far less susceptible to heat issues. In fact I've seen many with no shield and have never seen one fail to engage or turn normally regardless of heat.

It's an upgrade. Don't look back. :)

Richard

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like the original direct drive starter bolts will work with the starter that Delco sells as direct drive (but looks like a gear reduction model).

Original bolts are 4-5/16" and the hatch pattern lines up roughly halfway in the new starter. The face-to-face on the mounting "flanges" that the bolts go through on the original GM starter are 3-3/16". The ones on the new one are 3-1/4"

Do y'all think I'm good to go here...

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Of course the stupid ignition feed ring terminal broke off where it connects to the starter.

What's the best way to fix this...Is there a certain type of heat shrink that should be used for this?

Last edited: