Deadbeats 1997 Centurion Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Got check engine light today. Bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 2. Bank 2 sensor 2 is only a few months old with about 1k miles on it. My mechanic told me to put the bank 1 sensor 1 on and see what it does. Would any of you suspect catalytic converters being the problem? The truck runs really good but at low rpm and idle it is rough enough that at a stop sign you can feel it in the wheel and in the floor boards.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Got the 02 sensors installed, the one I had installed before was bank 2 sensor 1. Found out after pulling the bed that I didn't have a cracked line causing the gas smell, it was a clump or por15 in the threads not allowing the gas cap to seal off correctly, letting fumes out. Installed an air dam that doesn't have the frame hooks, now there is only a slight rear end whine, gonna put in a 14 bolt anyways so I am not worried about it. I think I have about everything lined out on it good enough to drive to Wisconsin the week end and grouse hunt for a few days.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Got the low voltage bank 2 sensor 2 again, can anyone please advise how to fix this. The sensor is 2 days old.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Let there be light.

You must be registered for see images attach

Finally found that bad wire, was the back light in the headliner, had a bare wire exposed. Took the truck on a trip to Wisconsin, 2050 round trip, crank position sensor died but other than that the truck did great. I have to adjust the drive shaft angles a hair when I get time, have a very slight vibration from 50 - 60. The first joint angle was 1.8 and the angle at the pinion joint was .2, which is too small.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
The more I drove the truck and tightened up the driveline the worse the vibration became. I finally just yanked out the 2 piece and stuck in a 1 piece. Man is it smooth, 0 -60 is great, I seem to be getting a little bit of vibration around 70 though, not sure if I need to turn the pinion up or down, haven't measured the angles. I have to put the cross member back in and make a circle around my shaft now.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I sent some pictures to the driveline shop that made the shaft and they said to lower the pinion. I'll try it 2 degrees tomorrow.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I put in the 2 degree shim and it made a noticeable difference. I'm debating now whether to try a 3 or 4 degree since those things are not cheap just to buy to test with.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
After putting the truck on jack stands with wheels and drums off and running it in gear I knew from the sound I had rear end trouble. I stuck another rear end in the other day and it took almost all the vibration away. I still have a little bit at 70 but I think once I play with the shims again I might be able to get that taken care of. The rear end I put in whines quite a bit but I am going to change the fluid and put in some STP and see what that does, it set for 2 years before I pulled the rear end, maybe the ring and pinion have some pits on them.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
After putting the truck on jack stands with wheels and drums off and running it in gear I knew from the sound I had rear end trouble. I stuck another rear end in the other day and it took almost all the vibration away. I still have a little bit at 70 but I think once I play with the shims again I might be able to get that taken care of. The rear end I put in whines quite a bit but I am going to change the fluid and put in some STP and see what that does, it set for 2 years before I pulled the rear end, maybe the ring and pinion have some pits on them.

Got some really good luck, joke, the rear end I put in did help quite a bit but after double checking it again the other day I noticed I can move the front of the pinion up and down nearly a 1/4 inch. So, back to getting another rear end so I can eliminate it as the vibration culprit. Other news, my dad got tired of the old centurion frame under his and build a 3/4 ton rear with a 1/2 ton front and is putting it under. It is close to being complete now, but here is a pic with the cab off.

Last edited:

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I wish there was someone in or around KY that I could drop the truck off to and let them fix my vibration issue.