Deadbeats 1997 Centurion Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Still driving the truck a lot more than usual, hoping one day I get to start fixing the little things that I have come across. Yesterday pulling into work I turned left into the parking lot and the abs cycled, odd? Truck was popping a little bit in the parking lot. When I left it was popping so bad I pulled over to see if the sway bar link had broke or the axle, both looked fine. I proceeded to drive it 60 miles home with it popping randomly at lower speeds but no noise at higher speeds, no growling or any other noise than the popping. Get the thing home and jack it up and you can move the drivers wheel/tire about 1 inch at the top, my hub was destroyed. My list of todo's is exhaust gasket at converter, remove oil cooler lines and install older style base and pf454 filter, red head steering gear to fix my leaking one, pull the heads and have them checked and milled to fix the external antifreeze leak at my passenger head gasket, and some day after all that is complete - front suspension and steering parts. This may very well be the last high mileage truck I buy.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182892126043

Seen these and my hand instantly click the buy it now. I hope they are good quality. Crazy that they were the exact year, color, and everything like my truck. I think I'll go to the junk yard and get a couple leather heated seats and put those back in so I have the heated ones. Plus, I can cover those while leaving mine in and driving it.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I stopped by and talked to the local upholstery old man about installing the seat covers for me. He advised against the seat heaters, said they are junk and will could eventually burn the seat covers. He said he would install both front seats and the back one for 500 bucks. He said on those seats he likes to add foam on the front seats, on the top and reshape and on the bottom. I figure it would take me forever and I might not get them right since the back seats looks like a bee achh to install. So, I think I'll drop them off tomorrow.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just went through this whole thread and nice transformation, man! :waytogo:

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on the fabric for the seat with the heaters. I had seat covers installed on my ram and it had the heaters and I thought abt that same issue but was told it wouldn't affect anything. Had a layer of foam between the seat an the new covers so it took little bit longer to warm up but never had an issue

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I think it was not the foam layer he was talking about, it was the very common problem of the wire shorting out and making burn marks.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh ok then makes more sense, although I've never had one short out, only thing I've done is wear the seat down and made the fabric rip then had a set of keys rip the wiring apart

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Seat covers are going to look good!

I redid the driver seat when I swapped Denali seats into my Yukon. It really wasn't hard, just time consuming. I ditched the heating element as well - it was sort of made into the cover itself and would have taken half a day just to cut it out.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I have to replace the bottom on my moms escalade, I believe I should be able to handle that. But the whole set was just gonna take me too much time and the guy I took them to is really only putting the covers on for a favor to my dad I believe. Dad managed a Ford dealerships body shop and gave this guy all the upholstery work for several years. He had an old car in his shop last night he was doing the complete interior for, he told me his interiors start at 5K. My next thing will be a good steering wheel, some new visors, and maybe a nice set of floor mats.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Not sure if you can see these, I know I can with the firefox extension for photobucket. Here are the leather seats, turned out really nice. The upholstery guy wasn't really happy that all the fabric was glued on and no velcro on the covers or seats, but he fixed them right and went on about his business.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach