Deadbeats 1997 Centurion Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Had some bad luck on 2013 GMC Terrain. Took it to a mechanic to have the engine changed (2.4 66k miles inhaling oil) and I couldn't get it to start before I took it to him but it cranked. It started until I changed the throttle body and I didn't know the re-learn procedure. I go to him after he gets the new motor in and he says it won't crank. He is under the Terrain by the starter and says he can't find where a wire goes but he thinks it is on the starter. Said he put it there and nothing happens but he can jump power to the starter and it will turn over. I go home and get a schematic and it is the main ground wire for my ECM and TCM. I go back and tell the mechanic and he says putting a ground on hot shouldn't matter, but a hot on ground would? I have no check engine flash now and I checked it over yesterday pretty good (5 hours) and can't find any burnt wires or anything wrong but I believe the damage is already done. Would you agree that putting the ground on the constant starter hot would burn up the ECM and TCM since it is applying direct hot to the unfused side of these? I think I am going to have to take this to the dealer and I don't think it is going to be a cheap fix.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I am not sure why the bed rail pictures are not showing, they show when I click edit?

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
What is strange, they don't show on my laptop on firefox but show on my pc at work with firefox.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Those look pretty good, I may have to invest in some in the future. :)

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Finally found my slow leak on my truck, had to put dye in the antifreeze and use a U/V light. It is leaking out the edge of the head gasket on the front of the motor. I thought at first it was gonna be the intake or water pump, but after removing the alternator bracket it is the head gasket. My mechanic said he had never seen one do this, just my luck. This is the head I put on it when I put the motor in, now I wonder if I should try a sealant or pull the intake and head off and try another gasket.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Had some bad luck on 2013 GMC Terrain. Took it to a mechanic to have the engine changed (2.4 66k miles inhaling oil) and I couldn't get it to start before I took it to him but it cranked. It started until I changed the throttle body and I didn't know the re-learn procedure. I go to him after he gets the new motor in and he says it won't crank. He is under the Terrain by the starter and says he can't find where a wire goes but he thinks it is on the starter. Said he put it there and nothing happens but he can jump power to the starter and it will turn over. I go home and get a schematic and it is the main ground wire for my ECM and TCM. I go back and tell the mechanic and he says putting a ground on hot shouldn't matter, but a hot on ground would? I have no check engine flash now and I checked it over yesterday pretty good (5 hours) and can't find any burnt wires or anything wrong but I believe the damage is already done. Would you agree that putting the ground on the constant starter hot would burn up the ECM and TCM since it is applying direct hot to the unfused side of these? I think I am going to have to take this to the dealer and I don't think it is going to be a cheap fix.

I don't believe so. The hot has no way to put power up the ground, as the ground strap is grounding a circuit with an already hot side.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I don't believe so. The hot has no way to put power up the ground, as the ground strap is grounding a circuit with an already hot side.

My mechanic (different than engine installer) checked it out for a couple errors. Three of the fuses in the fuse box have no power on either side, since the fuse box has a circuit board he recommended replacing the fuse box. My new (used) fuse box should be in today and I'll see what happens.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
If I get the terrain fixed I have to decide what to do to the pickup, I really haven't found much information on an external head coolant leak, seems really odd. But when I look through the inner fender and the head from that side, there is a lot more dye around the mating surface there than on the front. I checked the oil last night, it was clean as a new one, I shined the UV light on it to see if it illuminated and it did not, nor was it milky or white. The dye seems to be the way to find these leaks, but I guess there is a pinhole in my gasket at the end where the water runs in? I couldn't imagine a head bolt coming loose, not sure, just a little aggravated that this stuff always seems to happen to me.