Deadbeats 1997 Centurion Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
You probably know this, but don't forget to add oil to each new component. I can't remember how much off the top of my head, but it's not much. They say to measure what drains out and put that same amount back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Well, the a/c worked out very well and still is around 40 degrees all the time. I added 6 ounces 150 pag with leak detector, it called for 8 but I didn't replace 1 line and evaporator. Yesterday I put the Iridium a/c delco plugs, wires, cap,and rotor button on as well as a door actuator and a door speaker. I fixed the overhead console latch that was broke. Now for the sucky part, my motor mounts are touching the metal tabs on both sides. Do I have to drop the front stump and mount on passenger side to change these? It seems that is why I didn't when I had the motor out, any help would be much appreciated. Other than that, the truck is awesome, i got 15.3 mpg on the last tank, 50 percent interstate at 70 mph, 25 percent country road, 25 percent city. I hope the tune up helps, my plugs were gapped wrong at 50 instead of 60.

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
motor mounts can be changed by jacking up the front of the engine to take tension off the bolts holding the clam shells together. loosen the screws from the block and remove. the cross member screws on the lower shell are a PITA but will be last.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I just got the truck back from a 2300 mile hunting trip. It did really well, I gotta work on the doors a little bit, had a little air noise in one and a couple don't shut as good as they should. I have a tiny bit of steering wheel vibration above 75, not bad, probably something worn in the front since I haven't replaced anything there. Time to wash the Wisconsin dirt off it now and put it back in the garage. BTW, I checked my second tank and got 17.3 mpg, can't wait to do the MPFI conversion and see if it goes up more.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I also noticed on my truck the other day, drove it with a/c on high, parked it with the hood pointed up hill. The next morning when I started it water ran out of the blower box on the floor mat. I know the drain is clean from the outside, I ran a kegerator brush through it and it drips good when I sit on level ground with the a/c on, what do I need to do to fix this or is it just a bad design? I seen dad's k1500 do the same thing last summer when I loaded his Harley and backed into a ditch to aid loading.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I noticed yesterday when the trucks sits a few days, it has to turn over a few more times for the first start. I am thinking the spider injection needs replaced with MPFI, would that be the symptoms for it?

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Bought a set of these to put on my bed,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322487535443
and didn't know westin and wade were the same so I could have got them cheaper.

As soon as these come in I'll install them and put a pic up.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TXGZN9/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I gotta get a radiator too, had a super small leak that I could never find, removed the top cover and noticed it stays wet on the top drivers side where the fins and the sides hook together. Hopefully that takes care of the leak, only other leak is the steering box, need a red head but waiting till i get all teh steering, front suspension , and bushings.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Can't wait to see what the bed caps look like on your truck! I have been debating whether or not to get bed caps as well, especially a tailgate cap. I hate touching the top of truck's tail gate every since I repainted it, don't like the slightest scuff or fingerprint.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Put the caps on, will try to post a pic soon. I think my small radiator leak isn't my problem, I can watch antifreeze now run down behind the alternator by the head and down to the oil pan and run down by its gasket. I hope it isn't the intake gaskets, I put the fel pro on with the motor but I also put a new water pump on at the same time. I think and hope it is the upper part of the water pump gasket but it will be a day or two before I can check it.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Overall I like the bed rails, when I put the bull rings in and tightened them it made the rails buckle a little. My suggestion might be to remove the two sided tape on the ends so they can sit flush there, the inserts will hold them in. I may take a heat gun and try to get mine to sit flat or take them back apart next year and remove the tape.

You must be registered for see images attach