Deadbeats 1997 Centurion Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Started blocking doors and hood to try to get paint ready, found a wave in one door and a couple dents in the hood which was just stripped and primed. Debating on what level of detail to try to achieve but the bed is good and straight, I might as well take a few more days and get everything else as good as I can.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how much paint are you figuring it's going to take? Do you think a gallon of base and a gallon of clear would do all of the outside surfaces (no inside the bed) of my CCLB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I bought , after using basemaker , 2.5 gallons base, 2 gallons of clear(4:1) dupont, so it makes 2.5 gallons of clear. I had to trim door jambs, rockers, door openings, and inside the fenders but I did not paint inside my bed. I would say you would be looking at about the same. I also bought a gallon of 1k sealer which I recommend. Total was a little over 1k dollars for paint and sealer. I did buy nason base coat instead of the top line dupont, it was 200 dollars cheaper and I have sprayed it and know it looks okay.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how much paint are you figuring it's going to take? Do you think a gallon of base and a gallon of clear would do all of the outside surfaces (no inside the bed) of my CCLB?

My experience with this is if you aren't doing a color change then small to mid sized cars and standard cab short bed trucks can usually get by with a gallon of each layer. Extended cab or long bed add another quart. A crew cab long bed would be 6 quarts. Any mistakes will take more paint. Color changes take at least 25% more paint. It is always better to have extra rather than not enough.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Your absolutely right on color change, if the old paint is good I remember sanding with 600 and just lightly putting base coat on them and clearing them with the rest after the primed spots had been covered. I remember when dad ran the shop mixing up a close color and covering the vehicle and then putting a final coat or two on with the right color and painting trucks with 1 quart, which thinned to 2 quarts.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience with this is if you aren't doing a color change then small to mid sized cars and standard cab short bed trucks can usually get by with a gallon of each layer. Extended cab or long bed add another quart. A crew cab long bed would be 6 quarts. Any mistakes will take more paint. Color changes take at least 25% more paint. It is always better to have extra rather than not enough.

I wouldn't be doing a color change, per se, but every panel has dings and small dents, so there would be a lot of filled areas.

thedood

Reaction score
I really enjoy reading this write-up. I dont have this model truck but I would imagine a lot of the same pitfalls exist in any of them. Excellent job and thanks for taking the time to share.

thedood

Reaction score
Deadbeat what will you have to do to mount this in the dash as far as kits go? It looks like it will fit perfect in the space.