Deadbeats 1997 Centurion Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
After a couple hours of looking I can't find the part number for the 2005 chevy truck for the steering column upper shaft. Can anyone chime in that may be smarter than me and can find one? I would like to compare a picture or two before buying a whole column to gut.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
If I have read the articles correctly it looks like the perfect donor would be a steering column out of a 2003 - 2007 Express van with tilt since they have the same wheel, single stage airbag, and the shaft needed for the wheel. I think I'll buy a used column and begin testing. One article said 2004 and up so I think I'll look for a 2004 Express 2500 for my experiment. I hope I can swap over the clock spring and all, I don't like the idea of grinding a hole out in the wheel to run the wire.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I started fixing the bottom of my bed. It really just had a few holes and the one large one at the front so I took angle and patched them. Here it is before I started cleaning it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here it is after a little cleaning and I am beginning to fit the metal to weld in. I would guess a couple more afternoons until I get it ready to paint black. I am debating taking out the inner fenders and painting the inside of the bedside and glueing the inner fender back in so I never have to worry about rust.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Got a little bit more done on the bed. I have the bottoms in primer and the actual bottom in Rustoleum primer, I will top coat with black this afternoon or tomorrow, it says to wait 24 hours before topcoating.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I blocked my primer with 240 and reprimed. I found a dent I missed, it is amazing how bad your feel gets for dents when you don't do body work for a few years. The brown rustoleum still had a few wet spots so tomorrow when it is dry I will shoot the black semi gloss over it and I should be able to sand the primer with 320 or 360 and it will be ready to paint, all I will need to do is turn it over and fix the top part.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
More work done. Need to block the primer in a day or two and reprime and paint. I did coat inside the taillight area really good with POR15 patch seam sealer and rustoleum rusty primer paint.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I painted my bed this morning, it looks like it might turn out really well. Now its time to paint the doors. I know the inside of the bed is still green, I have a nice bedliner to cover that.

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
that's crazy. i saw the reflections and thought it didn't look as good as you thought.
it DOES look real good. wish i had the time, place, patience to do body work.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
That is Chromobase clear, about $265 a gallon, with a 1.6 tip in a SATA hvlp it sprays really nice.