Dash Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont know if anyone has a thread of this done on GMFS, but now for sure we do! I know this question is asked once a week over at fsc.com so i made a thread over there too!
I decided it was time to upgrade from my 93 interior. It was starting to look plain, and well, just old. I wanted that new feeling to the truck. :hmm:
I took the old dash out to paint it, but wasnt too happy with the whole boxy look. Not much you can do to it, and when it is done up nice, they are normally just looked over.
Bought myself a 97-98 dash off of ebay, brand new.
then i got the misc stuff...
only problem so far is the glove box, no room for the inner part so i can only use the door.

You must be registered for see images attach

you have to wire in the new cluster.
the older style door panels pushed the dash up. if you swap dashes, you need to do the doors as well.

all together i spent around 700 for all wiring, panels, parts, door . etc... 500 for paint and its good to go.

gauge swap cluster information
A Alternater - 19
W Gas 16
R Temp 13
P Oil 15
T Tach 6
S Speed 14
N,G,Q Ground 31,34,4
F,O,U Fuse 22,7
B Anti Lock 27
C Check Engine 23
E Park Brake 28
J Low Coolant ??
L Left Turn 3
M High Beam 5
V Illumination 29
X Seatbelt 30
Z Right Turn 32

light switch
88-94 95-98

Red \\ Red
White \\ White
Green \\ Green
Brown \\ Brown
Orange \\ Orange
Black \\ Black
Yellow \\ Yellow
I know this is your truck and all but personally your dash looked awesome stock, I wouldn't have touched it, plus I've never seen a light tan interior like that....I loved it!!

Live action!!

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have an idea. Say I buy a wrecked 95 and swap the entire wiring harness, computer, and interior pieces into my 88'. Theoretically my older tbi should run just fine off the newer computer if I swap my chips in, and then all the wiring will just plug back into stock locations.

Thread/post revival.

I bought an 88 c1500 stepside . What is the last year that the TBI small block in these trucks?

Looking at doing a literal swap of everything from a 95/96 into this truck.

Failing that how 'different' is the 98 in comparison?

My goal is to have a drivers airbag only with cup holders on the right side. Power bucket seats,blazer center console, DIC and compas mirror.

What donor should I really be looking at to achieve this?

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Thread/post revival.

I bought an 88 c1500 stepside . What is the last year that the TBI small block in these trucks?

Looking at doing a literal swap of everything from a 95/96 into this truck.

Failing that how 'different' is the 98 in comparison?

My goal is to have a drivers airbag only with cup holders on the right side. Power bucket seats,blazer center console, DIC and compas mirror.

What donor should I really be looking at to achieve this?

Find a 95 last year of the tbi. also the 95 is a oddball year with lots of one off things so id be careful with that.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
96 was the first year for obdII. The tbi was never an obdII

bver36

Reaction score
Dont know if anyone has a thread of this done on GMFS, but now for sure we do! I know this question is asked once a week over at fsc.com so i made a thread over there too!
I decided it was time to upgrade from my 93 interior. It was starting to look plain, and well, just old. I wanted that new feeling to the truck. :hmm:
I took the old dash out to paint it, but wasnt too happy with the whole boxy look. Not much you can do to it, and when it is done up nice, they are normally just looked over.
Bought myself a 97-98 dash off of ebay, brand new.
then i got the misc stuff...
only problem so far is the glove box, no room for the inner part so i can only use the door.

you have to wire in the new cluster.
the older style door panels pushed the dash up. if you swap dashes, you need to do the doors as well.

all together i spent around 700 for all wiring, panels, parts, door ****. etc... 500 for paint and its good to go.

gauge swap cluster information
A Alternater - 19
W Gas 16
R Temp 13
P Oil 15
T Tach 6
S Speed 14
N,G,Q Ground 31,34,4
F,O,U Fuse 22,7
B Anti Lock 27
C Check Engine 23
E Park Brake 28