Dash removal (electrical gremlin)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree, it doesn't make a lot of sense that there would be a damaged wire in there since nothing really moves back there. I guess there's a first for everything.

The headlight dimmer switch would have seemed the more likely culprit since power goes through it to fuse 14.

Good luck, hope you can track it down without pulling everything apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd look at that. I think he has it.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's fuse 14, I don't see anything on that circuit that has anything to do with the rear lights, though I'll check if they're out before I go any further.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Your initial post says the rear lights are out...maybe I'm misreading you when you say the "back lights" are out you mean the backlighting in the cluster.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your initial post says the rear lights are out...maybe I'm misreading you when you say the "back lights" are out you mean the backlighting in the cluster.

Richard

I think the backlighting is what he meant. I read it the same way you did at first. :lol:

I agree with what others have said, check the easy stuff. Headlight switch would be my first guess. Go pull one from a salvage yard and see if the problem goes away.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the light switch doesn't fix the problem the first thing to check is anything to do with the wiring that isn't factory such as aftermarket radios or accessories. Factory harnesses seldom give trouble till they are fooled with.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Richard
Yup, I meant the back lighting for the cluster.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've inspected the harness, and I don't see any signs of a short, but the knob looks like garbage anyway, so I may just replace that and see if it fixes it before I dig too much deeper

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it just the lights in the gauge cluster out? Do the lights to the a/c heat panel still work?

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it just the lights in the gauge cluster out? Do the lights to the a/c heat panel still work?
They're all out. 4wd, cluster, HVAC. The controls still work, just the lights are out

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you believe the problem is on the gray wire then use a meter and do an ohms check for that wire to ground.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you believe the problem is on the gray wire then use a meter and do an ohms check for that wire to ground.
That's an excellent idea, and I feel like an idiot for not doing that already...

This really blew up, thanks for all of the responses everybody.