Dash lights sometimes work sometimes dont

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rlast1

Reaction score
Haven't drove my 1994 K1500 at night in a long time found that dash lights are not working more than they do work. Played with the dimmer switch and no change. Any ideas?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The headlight switches in these trucks (at least the 95+ ones) are known for occasionally burning wires up in the harness behind the dash. I'd pull it out and check the harness for any obvious heat damage. The switch itself can go bad and cause weird issues, too. I had an issue in my Suburban where the courtesy lights sometimes wouldn't come on when you opened a door, regardless of which door it was. Replaced the headlight switch and that issue went away.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
88-94 switches are known to go flaky. Mine started not turning on the actual headlights right away so I replaced it before it got worse. They are a cheap thing to try anyway, and the new one has all the nice symbols that rubbed off your original years ago so win-win!

rlast1

Reaction score
Parts store has headlight switch and dash dimmer switch which should I buy?

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem is usually the headlight switch, not the instrument panel dimmer. Before you buy anything though, next time it's not working, try wiggling the switch off/on a few times and see if they at least flicker or come on. Then you'll know it's the switch.

Richard

rlast1

Reaction score
Replaced them both today. next time I drive in the dark I will know.